Why become a member? ×

Stunning little SWR

ficelles

Played open air at Bristol Balloon Fiesta today (two sets with different acts)... arrived to find a vocal only PA so my rig had to handle the low end unaided... so ok we weren't required to be that loud but I must say my little SWR Electric Blue head into my home-build 1x10+1x12 cab rose to the occasion rather well, even to the extent of the engineer asking for it to go down a little when I had the loaner '63 P bass through it.

160W into 4 ohms is the most it can put out but that was an impressive 160W with plenty of headroom left. Mind you, you could have nicely simmered a casserole on the top of the amp over the afternoon...

There has to be some difference in how SWR do their power ratings to other manufacturers, I don't remember my Ashdown 575W head being any louder through the same cab. Or maybe I hit some efficiency limit of the cab with the smaller amp anyway?

ficelles

Some day when my SVT needed some TLC I took my El. Blue with me and played it into the SVT 8x10". The band didn´t believe what was coming out of the cab. SWR did some magic to their poweramps to make them work with these 8x10"s perfectly. My former SM400s was another favourite of mine together with the Ampeg cab.

[quote name='ficelles' post='1339962' date='Aug 14 2011, 08:02 PM']There has to be some difference in how SWR do their power ratings to other manufacturers, I don't remember my Ashdown 575W head being any louder through the same cab. Or maybe I hit some efficiency limit of the cab with the smaller amp anyway?[/quote]

I think you've probably just reached the upper power limit of your cab.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1341846' date='Aug 16 2011, 01:16 PM']I think you've probably just reached the upper power limit of your cab.[/quote]

Well not in terms of power handling - it has 2 x 300 watt drivers in it. I think there may well be a diminishing returns thing over a certain power level with 2 drivers... but anyway I do feel that SWR watts are somehow louder than Ashdown watts!

ficelles