Why become a member? ×

1958 P bass in magazine

gregsguitars

I guess in future basses like this 58' P-bass will be treated as holy artifacts by bassists of the 24th century, held in sealed, bulletproof glass cases with controlled atmosphere and surrounded by a cult following...
...no, wait, it happens already.

[quote name='Immo' post='1338768' date='Aug 13 2011, 02:04 PM']I guess in future basses like this 58' P-bass will be treated as holy artifacts by bassists of the 24th century, held in sealed, bulletproof glass cases with controlled atmosphere and surrounded by a cult following...
...no, wait, it happens already.[/quote]

I think its inevitable that anything significantly rare, completely original, and in excellent condition, will require preserving, and looking after. I think its a good thing, and only right that they are, and they should be respected, and not misused. They should be played though, although not every day, and not in a sweaty, smoky pub. There are other instruments that are more suited to that. (For that reason i have excellent relic copy versions of my oldest basses).

If you were fortunate enough to own a Ferrari 250 GTO, you wouldnt use it for the school run, or leave it in a multi-storey car park, to be scratched, or leaving it susceptible to unneccesary damage. Use it, but with respect, care and caution, they should be played, but they should also be preserved for future collectors, and indeed, points of reference.

I have a few vintage Fender basses that you could argue should be in a museum, but then i wouldnt enjoy them, i'll leave that decision for future owners, should they so choose.

• 1 month later...

No, not my church, I don't agree. This planks are made to play on, and they deserve the right enviroment - dark, damp and
smokey pubs. OK, mine is not as old as Yours, I've got a 1964 Precision, but I take to the places where I need it. It is already
worn out a little bit (more than that, I'll add a photo soon), and every little ding or dong adds more mojo to it.

I think, there are races for old cars, and even a Ferrari GTO 250 gets damaged at this races. I don't believe in making of
things of dayly use a holy grail. They are made for using them, and they should be used.

In the 70's an old Fender Pre bass, built in 1958, was nothing else than an old bass. Many of them, built in the late 50's or
during the 60's, got violated in the early 80's by adding a Jazz-Bass pickup in bridge - Position. This is not the right way to
treat such an instrument. (You don't use the wheels of a Ford Capri on a vintage Ferrari, do You?)

But You have to use it! Standing in a corner (or behind glass) doesn't make things better. I apreciete Your point of view, but
I don't believe in the "Fender-Vintage - hype". I use my old Fender in any giging - situation - but be sure, I have my eye on
this brave, old axe while not hanging around my neck...

I have 93 custom P-bass and she's treated like a tool, because she's a tool... but it's a tool I love. She's scratched, she has many marks on her, but still she's dear to me.
What I wrote was a bit ironic. I really wouldn't treat the bass like a relic unless it was bought precisely to be a relic (eg. very rare and well preserved bass or one used by someone great) :)

[quote name='Kong' timestamp='1316514543' post='1378937']
No, not my church, I don't agree. This planks are made to play on, and they deserve the right enviroment - dark, damp and
smokey pubs. OK, mine is not as old as Yours, I've got a 1964 Precision, but I take to the places where I need it. It is already
worn out a little bit (more than that, I'll add a photo soon), and every little ding or dong adds more mojo to it.

I think, there are races for old cars, and even a Ferrari GTO 250 gets damaged at this races. I don't believe in making of
things of dayly use a holy grail. They are made for using them, and they should be used.

In the 70's an old Fender Pre bass, built in 1958, was nothing else than an old bass. Many of them, built in the late 50's or
during the 60's, got violated in the early 80's by adding a Jazz-Bass pickup in bridge - Position. This is not the right way to
treat such an instrument. (You don't use the wheels of a Ford Capri on a vintage Ferrari, do You?)

But You have to use it! Standing in a corner (or behind glass) doesn't make things better. I apreciete Your point of view, but
I don't believe in the "Fender-Vintage - hype". I use my old Fender in any giging - situation - but be sure, I have my eye on
this brave, old axe while not hanging around my neck...
[/quote]

Horses for courses. In 1952 a Fender Precision was made for playing, 60odd years later, and a near mint, unmolested version, has, whether you like it or not, become an instrument of significant importance, and should be in a museum, not in the Red Lion Pub. Don't know anyone else who would think differently. Personally, i have over a dozen guitars i can use for gigging, and not stand next to, on guard the whole evening, the really rare stuff though, is still played, by me, but not down the local pub. That would be simply ridiculous, and only a fool would do so, or someone who doesnt respect the instrument enough to deserve to own it. Why would anyone do that?? Thank God i dont know any other players/collectors like that. Nonsense. If you have a worn '64, then thats a very different scenario. Nice bass all the same, great players those.

Just out of interest, what current race do you know of, that includes all original, mint Ferrari 250 Daytona's??? I doubt it very much.