Why become a member? ×

XL scale strings

MatthewKeys

Hey

I am going to be buying a yamaha TRB1006 soon, and I just wanted to check that it's a XL Scale bass and that it will require XL sets of strings?

I currently have a rbx775 and I made the mistake of buying long strings when I first restrung it with elixirs, which were too short because the part where the string narrows down came before the nut. So, I changed them for XL longs which worked fine.

However.. the person i'm buying the TRB1006 off has been using long scale rotosound 6 string sets, even though it's an XL scale bass . Does this mean that i'd be able to use long elixir strings instead of the XL ones? Or is it just that the rotosund strings do not narrow down as soon as elixirs?

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/rotosound-swing-bass-35-130-6-string/5885"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/rotosound-swing-ba...0-6-string/5885[/url]

:)

Thanks!

This is why IMO labels like XL scale are not particularly helpful. I just looked up the spec of your bass and it's only 35" scale. Traditionally XL scale is 36".

It would be much better is bass and string manufacturers dropped these labels and just gave us the measurements in either inches or mm (or better still both).

For a bass you would want the scale length and also the distance from the ball-end anchor to the bridge saddle (this would be two measurements if the bass offered both through-body and top-loading stringing) and the distance from the nut to the furthest machine head.

For the string you would want the useable speaking length of the string and then the additional string length at the ball end and the other end.

From these measurements you could work out of a particular set of strings were going to fit your bass rather than having to rely on either trial and error or other people's experiences.

Hi Matthew,

If you are after Roto's I'd get an actual length measurement from them and check against your bass.

Speaking from personal experience our strings come in 2 lengths:

[b]Long:[/b] Suitable for 34 - 35 inch scale basses. They are perfect fit for 35 inch and fit 34 inch without fouling the string post.

[b]Extra Long:[/b] Designed for 36 inch scale lengths (as found on some of our basses) and basses with through body stringing.

[url="http://overwaterbasses.com/shop-2/bass-strings/"]Overwater Strings [/url]

As BigRedX has said, it's best to measure first rather than rely on manufactures naming conventions :)

If you need any help message me.

Stu

Edited by bleedproof

If you are looking for other brands of string to fit your bass both Newtone and Overwater do strings for longer than the standard 34" scale.

Overwater XL strings are 37¼" from the ends of the ball-end attachment to beginnings of the winding silks (that's all usable string length).

Newtone will make you any string length you want.

Ah i'm such a newb. I tried putting my elixirs off my jazz bass (long scale) on my yamaha and it fitted.

The reasons I thought they didn't fit at first is because when I first bought the long scale for my bass I bought the B separately, and it didn't fit.. therefore assuming the rest wouldn't fit, so I didn't even try them so I could get a refund.

Problem solved :) Doh!