Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Horn Installation. Help Please?!!

Carld

Hi Ya'll,

I've just installed an Eminence Kappalite 3015LF into a Wawrick WCA 115 ND cab. I want to put in a hi frequency thingy in the cab but I'm not sure what type to get. I also want to put in an attenuater and understand the wiring for it all. I'm sure there someone who's probably put the info up here already but I can find it using the search engine. Can anyone help?

I originally put the Kappalite into an Ashdown Electric blue 180 and it has a great sound but the amps too small to handle the bigger gigs. If anyone has got any ideas about a quality amp to go with this cab It would be appreciated also. I'm using a G & L L2500 Tribute which I bought off a guy on Basschat which by the way is amazing. Many thanks Carl

If you are adding a horn ideally you need a x-over to split the frequencies to the 15 and tweeter. You can then add an L-Pad to control the volume of horn.
Not sure about off the shelf x-over's but John at audio components will design you one for free if you buy the components from him. The one for my 2x12 + Compression Tweeter was about £33.
[url="http://www.audio-components.co.uk/"]http://www.audio-components.co.uk/[/url]

Why not just put a piezo tweeter in with an On/Off switch if you want? Put a 47Ω 3W resistor in series and job done for less than £10. Piezo tweeters are capacitative therefore automatically reject low frequency power and are inherently high impedance. Therefore, these can be wired directly across a woofer without the need for a crossover.

Regarding Amps, it really is personal choice. I also have an L2500 and favour MarkBass. I've been round the houses with TC, EA, GallienKruger, etc. and came back to MB.
I do however fancy trying the new Ampeg PF500's and they are at a great price at the moment