Why become a member? ×

Signal splitting...

Ian Savage

Right, I reckon I'm going to have a stab at putting together a bass rig from all of the bits of PA/bass/guitar gear I've got kicking around, based around this:

[url="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150340958255350&set=a.162117845349.156112.614755349&type=1&theater"]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101...e=1&theater[/url]

I've currently got an EHX Bass Metaphors preamp, as well as a TU2 and an SD1 overdrive pedal from my guitar rig.

Really want to spend as little as humanly possible (naturally :)), so at the minute I'm thinking I'll go bass -> TU2 -> EHX, then take the parallel output from the EHX into the SD1 via some sort of filtering to feed one side of the amp and the guitar 4x10", and use the EHX to EQ/compress a full-range signal into the 1x15".

The idea is that I'd be able to switch in and out a bit of drive in the midrange/top whilst retaining a clean full-range signal (or even use the Metaphors EQ to trim a bit of the high-end out of there, should it prove a bit 'toppy' (although the Marshall doesn't have a tweeter, so should be alright))), and possibly even provide a rhythm guitar frequency range boost for solos should I find myself in a single-guitar band (likely).

The question is, what to use for the filtering into the SD1? I'm fairly electronics-savvy, so could easily build some form of high-pass filter into a little box (probably the cheapest solution, although it'd be a bit of a faff to experiment with frequencies), or could use a crossover (possibly expensive in a floor-mount format, and probably more complicated than I need) or simply to shove an EQ pedal in front of the drive pedal (simple yet flexible, but would you use a bass or a guitar EQ?))

Hopefully a few of you guys have played around with bi-amped rigs before and can give me a few pointers...

My bi-amp / tri-amp rig does something similar. I mix-'n'-match about a bit, but the general setup goes something like this:

Bass > TU-2 > GK MB500 head > EBS 4x10 cab (full range / clean)

GK MB500 Efx Send > Sansamp Para-driver DI > Input #1 of 2ch rack crossover (f[sub]0[/sub] ~ 125Hz)
Sansamp parallel out > Bass Big Muff Pi > Input #2 of 2ch rack crossover (f[sub]0[/sub] ~ 200-300Hz)
Crossover low-sum out > PA power-amp input #1 > EBS 1x15 cab (thick, low-end reinforcement)
Crossover Mid/High channel #2 output > PA power-amp input #2 > one or two 12" PA cabs (fuzz / distortion)

I use the crossover to blend the output of the Sansamp and the Big Muff so I can get a thick low end, the PA cabs then do the gnarly / fizzy top end of the fuzz.

Sansamp is used on its suggested setting of 'Simulated Active Bass', with the dry / wet blend on about 25 - 40%, this then goes to the PA for the soundman to use FoH. Big Muff is used on it's 'normal' or 'bass boost' mode depending on my mood :) hehehe.

I've not used an EQ pedal before, I would suggest you use the guitar EQ to cut all the low frequencies out of your signal, in effect a high-pass filter. The bass EQ pedal may not be voiced in the same way and the EQ points may very well be completely different.

HTH,
Ian

PS I remember starting a thread about this topic in the 'Amps and Cabs' forum a couple of months back: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=141237"]Here[/url]

Edited by Bottle

[quote name='Bottle' post='1333490' date='Aug 9 2011, 12:53 PM']I've not used an EQ pedal before, I would suggest you use the guitar EQ to cut all the low frequencies out of your signal, in effect a high-pass filter. The bass EQ pedal may not be voiced in the same way and the EQ points may very well be completely different.

HTH,
Ian

PS I remember starting a thread about this topic in the 'Amps and Cabs' forum a couple of months back: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=141237"]Here[/url][/quote]

Thanks for that Ian, food for thought! Actually, a guitar EQ might indeed be better (and I could use it as a solo boost when I'm playing six-string as well)...as long as the lowest frequency band control will 'shelve' off everything below it...

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='1333534' date='Aug 9 2011, 01:17 PM']Thanks for that Ian, food for thought! Actually, a guitar EQ might indeed be better (and I could use it as a solo boost when I'm playing six-string as well)...as long as the lowest frequency band control will 'shelve' off everything below it...[/quote]
Indeed

For example, Boss do two pedals; the GE-7 is designed for guitars, 100Hz to 6.4kHz in seven bands, and the GEB-7 for bass, 50Hz to 10kHz in seven bands. Both are 15dB cut/boost.

Ian