Why become a member? ×

Fender machine heads/tuners

mentalextra

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1342470' date='Aug 16 2011, 09:58 PM']If you've tightened the screw in the back of the capstan and it is still doing it, I'd suggest it's your neck that is shifting as tuners don't tend to unwind.[/quote]

What do you mean by shifting, its not tight to the body?

Edited by mentalextra

[quote name='mentalextra' post='1342509' date='Aug 16 2011, 10:38 PM']What do you mean by shifting, its not tight to the body?[/quote]
I just mean some necks will be less stable than others under tension. Heat, cold, ambient moisture even tuning can cause continual movement in a weaker neck.

[quote name='mentalextra' post='1342847' date='Aug 17 2011, 10:38 AM']OK. So if a "quality" tuner doesnt affect the guitar staying in tune why bother with them. I was under the impression that cheap tuners mean constant re tuning?[/quote]
Beats me mate. People will buy anything if they are told to.
Because of the physics of the 90 deg angle that bass tuners are at it is almost impossible for them to unwind themselves in say the way that some acoustic or older style tuners can.

When I buy tuners (apart from design and dimension) it's based on the feel and how hard wearing they are. Some cheap makes are constructed from real low quality metal which wears out in no time... especially if they aren't fitted properly and the capstan is misaligned with the front bushing - resulting in poor operation (grinding) and ultimately rattly gears.
Buying a "name" tuner is only an assurance of the factors I've mentioned above. For me personally, it's Schaller or Hipshot (aesthetics play a part too). But I will also build guitars with fender parts because that's what people are comfortable with. But at the end of the day Schaller or Hipshot will not "hold tune" any better or worse than say Squier.