Why become a member? ×

Untuned ports

ficelles

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1324723' date='Aug 2 2011, 02:27 PM']historically it is a subject that has been dominated by engineers and physical scientists.[/quote]
True, but when those engineers and scientists were those employed at Bell Labs they knew far more about how human hearing functioned than the medical community, who were late comers to the party. The history of Bell Labs, and what they accomplished from 1876 to roughly 1950, is a fascinating topic in and of itself.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1324723' date='Aug 2 2011, 07:27 PM']The reason this is the hot topic is because if you can't hear it then it doesn't matter.[/quote]

You mean like with audio masking? Hearing is all down to signal processing at the end of the day, I just wish I could reprogram myself to filter out my tinnitus :)

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1324723' date='Aug 2 2011, 07:27 PM']I would be fascinated to know how many speaker design companies are actually employing or regularly consulting with researchers into audio perception. I'm sure it's more common these days but historically it is a subject that has been dominated by engineers and physical scientists.[/quote]

I think you'll find most are these days - psychoacoustics has become very trendy and things like creating the perception of deep bass where there is none through use of harmonics, or making a stereo pair of speakers 1 metre apart sound like they are 10 metres apart with delay are hot subjects and have been for a while now.

ficelles

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='1324745' date='Aug 2 2011, 07:41 PM']True, but when those engineers and scientists were those employed at Bell Labs they knew far more about how human hearing functioned than the medical community, who were late comers to the party. The history of Bell Labs, and what they accomplished from 1876 to roughly 1950, is a fascinating topic in and of itself.[/quote]

Talking of the early days of acoustics, I was lucky enough to hear Per Bruel lecture a few years ago. A very sharp intellect even in his 90s.

ficelles