Why become a member? ×

Hello from Norfolk via Wellington, NZ

synchromesh

Hi folks,

I've been lurking on this forum for a year or so, and since I now want to buy something from another member I thought it'd be polite to introduce myself first... :)

I am a software developer currently living in Norfolk, England; I'm originally from Wellington, New Zealand. I play bass in my friend's new band the [url="http://www.littleredkings.com"]Little Red Kings[/url] and I also play electric guitar and synthesisers. Well, actually my day job takes up most of my time and I barely get time to practise my bass with the band let alone play anything else, but that's modern life for you.

My bass is a ~2004 MIJ '62 re-issue Fender Jazz Bass that I bought on eBay. Someone has attempted to "relic" it, although I think the effect is more "distressing" than "distressed". Nice guitar, though. Since then (with the aid of excellent local luthier David Roper) I've installed a Gotoh bridge, new Catswhisker pickups, a Sadowsky pre-amp, an internally-mounted GK-2B hex pickup and a built-in Orange Squeezer clone. OK, in fact only the bridge & pickups are in so far, although all the internal cavities have been routed & shielded, due to the aforementioned lack of time... So at the moment it just has the pickups wired to a volume pot. Only one (fairly bright) tone, but it's a nice one. :)

Now that the prospect of actually gigging is approaching, I'm thinking about my own amplification. So far I've bought a Trace Elliot 2x10 cabinet, and now I'm looking for a nice, small, not-too-expensive, fairly loud amp to drive it. The Gallien Krueger MB200 looks like a good contender. I don't think the budget will stretch to an Orange Bass Terror, unfortunately. I just want to be loud enough for band practice and for small gigs; hopefully anything larger will have a PA I can DI into. Or I buy another 200W cab of some sort. Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Once I've finished the mods to my bass I'll post a link to some photos on my website. But don't hold your breath...

Cheers,

John :^P

[quote name='Kirky' post='1318321' date='Jul 27 2011, 02:49 PM']Welcome John. Fellow kiwi here - born in Wellington but brought up in Gisborne.

Enjoy the forum, its a mine of useful information and friendly advice.

Martin.[/quote]

Hi Martin, thanks for that. I see in your sig you're running through a Hotcake - I have one of these for my Strat, and Paul kindly gave me the instructions for converting it to the "LF" version so I can run my bass through it. How do you find yours?

[quote name='Kirky' post='1318690' date='Jul 27 2011, 09:03 PM']Paul and i made a record together in the early 80s and he gave the hotcake around then. Used it ever since.[/quote]

Excellent! I tried mine at band practice last night and it worked very well. At some point I'll try and add a switch for the "XLF" option - it's just a case of soldering an additional capacitor across the existing output coupling capacitor.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' post='1332323' date='Aug 8 2011, 04:23 PM']Welcome! If you want to try out an Orange Bass Terror, you're free to have a go on mine.[/quote]

Thanks very much for the offer, but I've since bought a MarkBass Little Mark II from another BassChat member, so I'm sorted! :)

Cheers,

John :^P