Why become a member? ×

Which model of the Ibanez SR series is likely to be the lightest in weight?

mashup

[quote name='thebrig' post='1320006' date='Jul 29 2011, 07:18 AM']I have a SR500, I got it because of a back and neck problem, it plays and sounds great, and very versatile with so many tones available.

The neck is lightening fast, it's well balanced, and weighs just [b]6.5lbs[/b]!

I have owned many very good basses in the past, and still do, but my SR500 is definitely my favourite.

I have just purchased another one, which I am now modding, and I also have a SR505 5-string.

The two SR500's cost me a total of £470 s/h, but both in pristine condition, and the SR505 cost £400, and was only two weeks old.

That's how much I like them![/quote]

So, based on your experience & similar health problems due to heavy bass playing, i take you would advise me taking a punt on the new Ibanez SR1200 then?

[quote name='mashup' post='1320094' date='Jul 29 2011, 09:29 AM']So, based on your experience & similar health problems due to heavy bass playing, i take you would advise me taking a punt on the new Ibanez SR1200 then?[/quote]

It's not quite as clear cut as pure weight I suspect.

I have two relatively new Ibanez's, a five string SR4005E and four string SR5000E. Now the fiver has a mahogany body whereas the four has a wenge top and back, making the four actually heavier. However, the five, even though it is lighter, suffers a bit from neck dive hence the four is a lot more comfortable to play as it's better balanced, despite being heavier.

[quote name='mashup' post='1320094' date='Jul 29 2011, 09:29 AM']So, based on your experience & similar health problems due to heavy bass playing, i take you would advise me taking a punt on the new Ibanez SR1200 then?[/quote]
I've not played or heard the SR1200, so I could not advise you to choose that particular model, although I'm sure the neck will feel similar to the SR500, as the dimensions are the same.

But as [b]"aldude"[/b] points out, it does depend on the balance, a well balanced heavier bass, can in fact feel more comfortable than a lighter bass that is neck heavy, because you will constantly be holding and pulling the neck back up.

I have checked on the Ibanez website, the SR1200 body has Ovankol top to Mahogany body, plus the neck is constructed of a 5pc Atlas-4 Wenge/Bubinga w/KTS™ TITANIUM Reinforcement,
whereas, the SR500 has a plain Mahogany body, and the neck is a 5pc SR4 Jatoba/Bubinga.

So there are bound to be some difference in balance and weight.

If you do plump for the SR1200, please let me know what you think of it, as I would like to one day purchase a higher-end SR, and the SR1200 is one a have wondered about, as it is more affordable than the SR5000e which I previously had my eye on.

One last thought, considering the outlay, I would recommend that you ring round all the stores to find out who has one in stock, and try it out first.
I'm sure it will be a great bass, but it makes sense to try before you buy.

Hope this helps a bit.