Why become a member? ×

Shuttle 6 - any point in upgrading to higher powered amp?

OzMike

I'm pretty happy with my Shuttle 6 and GS112 / GS112NT combination. The Shuttle supposedly provides 600W into 4 ohms (which is the impedance of the two Aguilar cabs paralleled); however I believe this wattage to be a little generous. Would moving to something like a Shuttle 9 or higher wattage Streamliner, given I'd be using the same cabs, provide any benefit? I'm thinking likely no with respect to overall volume, but perhaps in terms of headroom. At louder gigs I'm using the Shuttle in a way that makes the red 'about to clip' light come on maybe 30 - 50% of the time.

I've not used the Shuttle, but if you're running out of headroom with a 600w amp I'd think it was a pretty big gig. That's when I would be using PA support.
If you're running out of headroom & pushing the cabs to the max, then have you considered going for a pair of 2x12s (or 2x10s)?

I guarantee it's the cabs, Try a 4 ohm 2x12 or a 4x10 you will be surprised trust me. Two 12's just ain't the same, I can easily go louder than the PA at most gigs and have to turn down to suit to balance FOH. Someone was saying how the 9.0 has more bottom the other day but I pointed out two things, firstly it doesn't the pre amp and EQ sections of the 6 & 9 are identicle and secondly they had 2 1x12's and I would happily take a pepsi challenge with my 6.0 and 2x12T against a 9.0 and a pair of 1x12's :)

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

The majority gigs are played with PA support, in which case the rig is used for on-stage monitoring. Most of the time, the setup I have is enough, but on bigger stages or outdoors I need to fall back to using a distorted sound so everyone on-stage can hear the bass.

The 2x12 cab idea is one I'd been considereding. One issue is that I have no car, and so all transport is done via taxi - which is why the 2 x 112 setup is so good. Still, something like the Barefaced Super 12 looks ideal, and would be affordable, portable and seemingly loud enough. Hmmm .... :)

As you can see I have 1x12 for smaller gigs or where gear needs to be carried miles outweighing my choice of cab, then the 2x12 for bigger gigs. I really can't see a situation where the 6.0 and 4 ohm load big cab would struggle as I have never needed to push it once, Ace cab and very light for it's size also suits the gb head obviously.

The super 12 may well be what you need.
I myself prefer to go for 8 ohm cabs so you can use more than 1 at a time (4ohm is only 3 db louder than 8 ohm of the same cab, which isn't anywhere as loud as having 2 of the 8 ohm cabs together).