Why become a member? ×

Volume pedals

odub

Have gone from one volume knob and little pinky control to jazz layout. I like to fiddle with me volume on stage a lot, so....volume pedal.....

Any thoughts?

Seems like it's down to Ernie Ball VP JR or the Visual Sounds thing, visual sounds seems to be in the lead:

Visual sounds
Has flashy lights!
The website text was so badly written, it's put me off a bit (At the risk of garnering criticism of my own writing I know)
Two inputs, Two outputs, so i could use my two basses 9one active, one passive)

I'd get a new pre-amp or change the wiring so that you've got a master volume. If you're used to using your fingers to change the volume, it's a real bastard adapting to using a volume pedal.
Volume knobs can also be a bit more precise as I find the sweep on many volume pedals can be quite severe and not as intuitive as you'd think. I use a volume pedal in conjuction with my chorii pedals for swells, but I use the J- East to adjust volume for various sections.

Truckstop

If it will be the only pedal at your feet, I would go with the Visual Sound pedal. The Ernie Balls are passive and you might find your tone degrades due to cable capacitance when you have a longer cable run (one from bass to the pedal, one back to the amp, anything over 20ft you'll probably start notice treble content disappearing from your sound), whereas Visual Sound put quality buffers in everything they make, which will help keep your bass sound intact.

Of course if you already have other pedals - any one of which is permanently in your signal path and isn't true-bypass - then you don't need to consider buffering, it's already happening.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1312412' date='Jul 22 2011, 09:59 AM']I'd get a new pre-amp or change the wiring so that you've got a master volume. If you're used to using your fingers to change the volume, it's a real bastard adapting to using a volume pedal.
Volume knobs can also be a bit more precise as I find the sweep on many volume pedals can be quite severe and not as intuitive as you'd think. I use a volume pedal in conjuction with my chorii pedals for swells, but I use the J- East to adjust volume for various sections.

Truckstop[/quote]

Interesting, though this has been prompted my a new bass (lakland decade) and I want to spend time with it in it's factory intended state at least for a while.

thisnameistaken, with regards to pedals my chain is this:

DBS Multicomp->EBS microbass 11
Link output -> Sonic labs Strobe tuner
Output/di -> Amp

Cable is certinaly <20ft, but who knows what the future holds...

Nyl
Ah didn't look at Morley, will check out now