Why become a member? ×

Pickup balance on Warwick Streamer Stage 1

guildbass

Well, I picked up my new (to me) Streamer today and I love it....I've wanted one since 1990 when I first played one and this one, although confusingly numbered (it's stamped on the headstock end and is that glorious shiny red over the wood finish, MEC's and no fret inlays so all in all I'd say it was a '90 although the serial number looks like it says '01 at the end...Actually... The '0' was rather small... I'm now thinking it's a '91 with half a '9'

Anyhoo... The bridge pick-up is a fair bit quieter than the neck jobbies. I've lifted it up but it's still way down volume wise... Is this usual.? It's the same active or passive incidentally...
Is there a trim pot inside perchance...?

Any help much appreciated...

Jon

[quote name='guildbass' post='1307354' date='Jul 18 2011, 12:58 AM']Well, I picked up my new (to me) Streamer today and I love it....I've wanted one since 1990 when I first played one and this one, although confusingly numbered (it's stamped on the headstock end and is that glorious shiny red over the wood finish, MEC's and no fret inlays so all in all I'd say it was a '90 although the serial number looks like it says '01 at the end...Actually... The '0' was rather small... I'm now thinking it's a '91 with half a '9'

Anyhoo... The bridge pick-up is a fair bit quieter than the neck jobbies. I've lifted it up but it's still way down volume wise... Is this usual.? It's the same active or passive incidentally...
Is there a trim pot inside perchance...?

Any help much appreciated...

Jon[/quote]

If the serial number is stamped on the headstock end then it's definitely quite an early Warwick - so 1991 is possible, but 2001 isn't.

There won't be a trim-pot to balance the two pickups (but there probably is a pot to balance the preamp volume against the bypassed volume). But you should be able to balance the two volumes by lowering the neck pickup.

Edited by mart

If the serial number is stamped on the headstock end then it's definitely quite an early Warwick - so 1991 is possible, but 2001 isn't.

There won't be a trim-pot to balance the two pickups (but there probably is a pot to balance the preamp volume against the bypassed volume). But you should be able to balance the two volumes by lowering the neck pickup.
[/quote]

I'm sure it's a '91 now, cheers!...

There is quite a disparity between the pickups. The bridge pick-up was well down and I've been lifting it up. The neck pick-ups are not exactly kissing the strings but they do seem pretty fat sonically but of course there's a lot more string excursion above them. I'll try dropping them a tad...

Is it possible for the bridge pup to be faulty in this way? I would imagine a faulty p'up to go open circuit and this one doesn't sound bad per se, just relatively low...Dunno... I'll carry on playing with heights and so on!

Pre-amp volume and bypassed volume are spot on, exactly the same...I couldn't see a trim pot in there but I didn't look that hard...

Um...Is the blend pot a double stacker? could the blend pot max out when it's towards the bridge because the bridge pot hits the stop, or because the neck pot hits zero...can the two pots (if it is a double stacked arrangement) get out of alignment so ther bridge pickup never gets to full volume...Hmm...

Oh, the Spector NS2000 and Hofner Senator are on Ebay now....

Jon

Jon

[quote name='guildbass' post='1308700' date='Jul 19 2011, 01:05 AM']Is it possible for the bridge pup to be faulty in this way? I would imagine a faulty p'up to go open circuit and this one doesn't sound bad per se, just relatively low...Dunno... I'll carry on playing with heights and so on![/quote]
The bridge pup [i]could[/i] be faulty, but I'd expect it to be very quiet, or intermittently quiet, if it were. It seems more likely that your neck pup is simply too high at the moment.

[quote name='guildbass' post='1308700' date='Jul 19 2011, 01:05 AM']Um...Is the blend pot a double stacker? could the blend pot max out when it's towards the bridge because the bridge pot hits the stop, or because the neck pot hits zero...can the two pots (if it is a double stacked arrangement) get out of alignment so ther bridge pickup never gets to full volume...Hmm...[/quote]
I'm not certain about older Wicks, but on the newer ones, the blend pot is certainly a double-track pot. However, the bridge pickup gets full volume all the way from the center detente round to the anti-clockwise extreme. (While the neck pickup gets attenuated as you sweep towards the ACW extreme. On the other half of the sweep the neck is constantly on full volume while the bridge is faded to nothing). So it's not going to be simply that the pot isn't sweeping the full extent. It could be a problem with the pot - some corrosion on the bridge track maybe, or some flaw in the solder connection to the bridge pup - but it's not a problem with the travel of the pot.