Why become a member? ×

Fender Made In Japan 62 Jazz Bass Foto Flame 295 for quick sale

ash

I'm trying to raise funds for a custom build project so this has to go unfortunately! Its a [i]Made[/i] in Japan Jazz bass and dates from the mid 90s. The bass has the nicest 60s Jazz neck I've ever played although I think the nut may be a replacement as the slots aren't cut low enough for my tastes. The action however is great and the trussrod works properly. The bass has a really dark rosewood fingerboard and white dots, the lacquer has that lovely vintage amber patina to it. The hardware and pickups are all original and the pickups sound great although the tone pot doesn't do much (think the wiring looks tidy enough. The cavity has an earthing plate in it and an earthing strip runs from the bridge to the treble pickup - very 60s! The bass is ultra light I suspect it is made from basswood as were nmany of the fotoflame series. The body as you can see has plenty of dings around the edges and bucklerash. The foto flame effect was achieved by literally sandwiching a film-like veneer under a thin layer of lacquer (tons of info in Google land about this process). It looks pretty authentic but was prone to cracking and this one is no exception as you can see. Some basses had the necks foto flamed too - fortunately this one hasn't - and on the necks you could just about make out a McDonalds Hamburglar face in the 'flame'. Legend has it that the employee who came up with this as a visual joke was fired from Fuji Film! Anyway the body has these flaws as pictured using a flash to show them up more. I've got to say that this does not have an effect on what is a lovely playing and sounding bass. Don't know if this is a rare one but you certainly don't see many about! This is a feeler to see if there is any interest really. Looking for 295 for a quick sale thanks.

[attachment=84842:SDC10054.JPG]

[attachment=84847:SDC10055.JPG]

[attachment=84849:SDC10056.JPG]

[attachment=84852:SDC10059.JPG]

[attachment=84853:SDC10060.JPG]

[attachment=84844:SDC10061.JPG]

Edited by ash

• 2 months later...