Why become a member? ×

Intermittent Signal and Crackling

tm486

Hi,

I have a Bass Collection SB310 from 1995. I bought it about 4 years ago as my first bass guitar and it has had this problem pretty much since I bought it. I never did anything about it as it was only ever used for practice. Having finally joined a band, I would like to repair it as losing signal and producing loud crackling might not go down too well.

The problem is that the bass doesn't always produce a signal. I have to fiddle with the cable position to get a signal and this produces lots of crackling. I found that tucking the cable behind the strap helped a little bit, but it doesn't eliminate it.

Taking the back plate off reveals solid soldering and no loose connections. I have used 3 different cables with it but the problem remains.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

It sounds to me like the jack socket itself it dirty, loose, or both -- sometimes happens with age. Is it an open back jack socket inside? Sometimes you can just bend the connector bits back into shape, and whilst you're at it give them a bit of a clean.

[quote name='escholl' post='1305272' date='Jul 15 2011, 10:19 PM']Is it an open back jack socket inside? Sometimes you can just bend the connector bits back into shape, and whilst you're at it give them a bit of a clean.[/quote]

Its a barrel type jack. I think i'll try replacing that then.

Cheers

Tom