Why become a member? ×

Multi-effect box of tricks that's super easy to use?

Scotticus

Hey all,

Come September I'm going to be studying, so just starting to look into getting decent sounds out of a portable rig. I've got a pretty light 5er and a Genz benz Shuttle 6.0 head already, so now I'm just missing effects.
Really, I can only imagine myself using it for adding dirt, the occasional delay or funky filter. What I'm really after though is probably best described as analogue controls (IE, no need to get buried in layers of menues, dedicated knobs wherever possible). If you could use the box blindfolded and didn't need to watch stuff scroll by on a piddly little display to get things done, that would nail it. I do seem to remember the first few Pods heading along the right lines for what I'm after, but having spent quite a bit of time with them back in the day (and plenty of time with Line 6 stuff on guitar since) I find the sound of them a bit muddy/lifeless, plus I'm hoping to scale down the size a bit here too.

Any recommendations? Whatcha got?

Cheers
Scott

If you're looking for a multi-effects which is easy to use I'd recommend having a look at the Boss Me50b.

You have the option of using it in what Boss call Stomp Box mode. In effect you have a compressor, EQ, plus three independantly controlled stomp boxes. Each "stomp box" has its own on/off switch, and independant controls (knobs, not menus and buttons!). You don't have to worry about programming patches etc (although you can do that as well if you want).

Each of the stomp boxes models a number of different effects - so there are 5 or 6 drives, several synth models, delays, reverbs etc. Again - you select them by simply turning the knob to the one you want rather than scrolling through menus.

As each of the stomp boxes has independant controls it makes it ideal for using live. If you want a bit more grit to your drive you don't have to access menus etc - you simply turn the drive knob up!

The down side is that if you do use it in programme mode, there is a noticeable lag in switching between patches - but to be honest I only use it in the manual mode. Also, there's no amp modelling, unlike the Pod.

Line 6 M13 is a nice compromise between 'tweakability' and endless hidden menus.

I, like you, hate having to tweak effects by accessing layers of sublevels. As such, a pedalboard of singles satisfied my desire to have lots of cool sound that were easy to change. Having heard some cool sounds on the M13 I thought I'd buy and try one out and now I take the M13 out more often.

It is still slightly more complicated than a singles setup, but the sounds and versatility make up for it.

Dan

PS. I should add that I originally suggested the M9 but realised that the M9 only has one set of controls where the M13 has 4. This is a massive difference in looks and approach but in functionality I imagine only a small change.

Edited by DanOwens