Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz. Strings through or not?

Ray

I have a USA Jazz that I'll be re-stringing soon. I've always strung through the body. I thought I might try stringing through the back of the bridge for a change.

I know stringing through the body apparently improves sustain but are there any differences in tone between the two stringing methods?

Any advice/thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

I've got the same option on my american precision deluxe.

I have tried bothover the years and although the general consensus is that through body improves sustain and resonance, I'll be honest and admit that I can't really notice a discernable difference, but I really want to.

For the last few years it has been strung through the back of the bridge. I'm about to restring again in the near future, so will go through the body. Will let you know the outcome.

All the best Gary.

[quote name='gary mac' post='149808' date='Mar 2 2008, 01:19 PM']I've got the same option on my american precision deluxe.

I have tried bothover the years and although the general consensus is that through body improves sustain and resonance, I'll be honest and admit that I can't really notice a discernable difference, but I really want to.

For the last few years it has been strung through the back of the bridge. I'm about to restring again in the near future, so will go through the body. Will let you know the outcome.

All the best Gary.[/quote]
Thanks Gary. Much appreciated.