Why become a member? ×

Odd bridge problem

Raggy

I recently bought a Roger Waters sig P Bass, and am really liking this bass. As usual, I am a fan of black hardware on basses so I am going to be replacing the tuners and bridge to black ones.

I have been using the bass in the meantime and it is strung with my normal La Bella 760FM's. I really dig in when playing, be it pick or fingers, thats how I have always played and it gets the sound I want. If I play with a light touch it does not sound the same.

But every time I have gigged the bass, the saddles drop on one or two strings, nearly right down to the base plate at some point through the gig. Usually the E and sometimes the D string. Its like the grub screws are turning on their own and dropping the saddles, (no haunted bass replies please :) )

I have got the bridge off and am looking at it, the saddle grub screws turn freely, but I would not say they are overly loose when turning them and the threads are all good.

Has anyone seen/heard of this problem before, cause I'm stumped.

So for the time being, it looks like my poor Frankenstein fretless is going to be robbed of a black Gotoh 201 for the time being, because finding one in the UK at the mo seems to be harder than finding some rocking horse sh*te!!! :)

Cheers

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1298259' date='Jul 9 2011, 03:01 PM']It's not unheard of.
If you can get a hold of some liquid screw lock then fine, if not put a wee drop of clear nail varnish on the thread and crank it up.[/quote]

Was hoping you would come along. I'll give it a try.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same situation with my Stingray 5: the saddle for the G string will eventually drop over time. Good to hear of a cunning cure for it :)

I supposed it was due to some particular frequency of resonation, which vibrates the screw in its thread, and gives it just enough movement to enable the pressure caused by the string pushing down on the saddle to work the screw out.

Or maybe it's just haunted too...? :)