Why become a member? ×

Custom pick up cover

Owen

I have a bass which I massively enjoy playing but the pick ups do not do it for me. They are a couple of Music Man-esque humbuckers. I have come to the conclusion that 2 x single coil pickups do it for me. If I take the two humbuckers out then I will be left with a huge gap which will never be filled by 2 smaller pick ups. How could I get a large pick up cover which I could fill with a couple of single coil pick ups and have the middle bit empty but providing a ramp type facility?

I think I managed to answer my own question

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABS-Project-Box-178x122x55mm-Project-Electronic-/170588630354?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item6d6f45608d"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABS-Project-Box-...=item6d6f45608d[/url]

I reckon something like this could be pressed into service. Obv using a black one :)

Edited by owen

Good plan although it would have to be pretty exact so as to not look gappy - also do your current crap MM copies have lugs on the outside??

Another fairly simple solution would be to get yourself a square of plastic and design yourself a nice scratchplate (otherwise known as a 'pickguard' to all the American wannabees on the forum).

The gaps would not be an issue because I would need to route it out to fit it so I can have it done properly. It will be pretty large lump of plastic, but I like the idea of a large ramp thing. It is a bass that has been messed with already so resale worries have long ago left the building. That is refreshing in itself :)