Why become a member? ×

Good reading exerices?

krazy_olie

Whilst capable of reading music, I can be quite slow and think I should improve so wondering if anyone knows of a good set of music reading exercises.

I know I could just take a bunch of sheet music and work through it but looking for a bit of structure. Generally my playing has involved chord charts and improvising or the occasional 2 bar lick written at the top which I can just work out once and remember I'm rarely required to read a full piece. ost of my sheet music is standard
Last time I was given a proper transcript to play I had to work far too long on it.

Thanks!

Scroll through the Theory and Technique section here and you will find a load of pdfs of transcriptions of all sorts of stuff done by BC members. I have put a load of jazz on here, from straight walking lines (good for note recognition) to complex solos and simple funk lines and rock tunes. There is even some Bach on here. Others have put similar stuff on here so you shoudl be abel to find loads of useful material to work with.

It sounds to me that you need to practice reading, the doing of the thing. Knowing what all the marks mean is step one. You then need to link them up and the only real way to address that is to do it. Again and again and again and again.

Good luck.

My problems is translating the notes into fret position. I've played piano since I was about 8 years old, so I could pick up a bass chart and play it on a keyboard no problems, but playing it on a guitar is a very slow and painful process.

As Bilbo says, it's practice, practice practice, and then some more practice.

(Something that's very much easier said than done)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1292229' date='Jul 4 2011, 02:40 PM']It sounds to me that you need to practice reading, the doing of the thing. Knowing what all the marks mean is step one. You then need to link them up and the only real way to address that is to do it. Again and again and again and again.

Good luck.[/quote]

Amen to the above - exactly what the man said.

Cheers,
louisthebass

will have a look around the forum for music. it's not so much a quantity of music I'm short of but more something particular to get my teeth in to. Even a suggestion of songs or bits to start on would be really good!

I learned how to read from piano when i was a very small child and it never left, as a result when having lessons we didn't spend much time on it and I could usually work my way through it. It's just about moving to the next level.

As for choosing the point on the fretboard, I've found that when I do get in to a bit of a groove reading (after an hour of reading a note every 3 seconds it might move to 1 per second), I do find myself just reading in terms of intervals within the key. I was very much taught to be in a key and to have my left hand set up for it. When there are lots of out of key notes it all goes wrong though :)

It's also reading rythym and notes at the same time which I struggle with.

Having said all that I've just found a piece that apparently I doodle with my teacher (it has our names at the top) which I'm going to have a crack at!

[quote name='lanark' post='1292282' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:20 PM']My problems is translating the notes into fret position. I've played piano since I was about 8 years old, so I could pick up a bass chart and play it on a keyboard no problems, but playing it on a guitar is a very slow and painful process.

As Bilbo says, it's practice, practice practice, and then some more practice.

(Something that's very much easier said than done)[/quote]
Download the Frodis Bass Clef IPod App it will sort you out a treat :)

Try Major Minor's Boot Camp Sessions on this very site:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=74284&hl=major+boot+camp"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...major+boot+camp[/url]

Sessions 20-31 might be what you want.

[quote name='lanark' post='1294725' date='Jul 6 2011, 01:50 PM']Try Major Minor's Boot Camp Sessions on this very site:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=74284&hl=major+boot+camp"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...major+boot+camp[/url]

Sessions 20-31 might be what you want.[/quote]

PERFECT! Not sure how I didn't find this