Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

changin neck of old jedson to short scale bass - potential probs?

Mod_Machine

Hi,
I modified/rectified an old 70s Jedson telecaster style bass earlier in the year. I used it to gig with aswell (once) but ultimately the frets/neck size is just TOO small. From what i can tell its the same as the telecaster guitar in shape and size but with Bass strings on and 22 frets!)

[attachment=83684:comparrison_shot.jpg]

I would like it to be a little more 'reliable' and comfortable so intend to put a proper short scale bass neck on there - maybe something like the squier bronco neck.

I know this will mean removing and re-locating the bridge (actually id replace with a bulkier unit similar to that on the ibanez jet king above), and im guessing it may need the channel widening where the neck meets the body as the current neck is titchy.

Anyone attempted a similar mod and anything to watch out for?

Edited by Mod_Machine

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1286344' date='Jun 29 2011, 12:59 PM']I take it you mean that the scale length is too short for you?

Otherwise if it is just the frets themselves that you don't like why not get a re-fret.[/quote]

Yep neck length (and width) is really short/little-basically its just a guitar neck size and by fitting a standard 3/4 length neck it will at least be the same as what i normally play and prove to be a usuable rehearsal or backup instrument.