Why become a member? ×

Which Pick Up for a 1997 Modulus Flea Bass?

JaminoBass444

Hi EveryBody!
I have a FleaBass for 6 Months! I absolutely love it!
But something bores me! How to get a fuller tone in my Band!
I have a TC RH450 and a Markbass NY212 cabinet and with my precision bass or my stingray i don't have any problem to be heard! But the Modulus sounds just fits the band so well and is such a pleasure to play that i can't use another bass with my band! It has a OBP-1 (i changed the original NTBT Bartolini which was very thin and the Aguilar improved the sound a lot), a BadAss Bridge II and an original Modulus LanePoor PickUps.
I'm searching for a pickup with a more band-friendly tone, less solo-oriented, less edgy and more middle-charged! I was thinking about a Bartolini MMC or SDG Sidewinders or ???,...
But i'm really lost in the jungle of FB pickups! I'm discovering new ones everyday! Everyone seems to tell totally opposite things and i can't build my opinion!
I also have a non installed Lane Poor Legacy Pick Up at home. But i think i'm out of the LP thing (do they sound similar?)
I really don't know what to do! Install the Legacy? Buy another PickUp? Which one?

Thanks for you help and advices!
Cheers from France!

It really would be worth keeping the Lane Poor pickup in there or at least removing it intact so it can be sold on. Lane Poor pickups are no longer made but they are extremely good and considered the best option for Flea basses alongside Bartolini humbuckers.

If you're not liking the sharp, edgy sound it's probably due to the graphite neck. Flea basses growl and sound zingy even with Barts in. You may be better off looking for a different bass.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1285343' date='Jun 28 2011, 03:13 PM']If you're not liking the sharp, edgy sound it's probably due to the graphite neck. Flea basses growl and sound zingy even with Barts in. You may be better off looking for a different bass.[/quote]

Yep, what the OP describes is what the Flea Bass is known for. Less solo-oriented, more mids & band friendly sound? Its a job for a Precision :)

Well! I don't say i don't like the tone of the bass! I love it and the neck is so nice! I heard flea basses with Barto or other pick ups with a very strong, band-friendly tone! I read many people telling the lane poor were quite thin in this bass. I think i'm gonna give the SGD pickup a try! They have very good reviews and the designer seems very nice as i talked with him and he actually made them as lanepoor copies but with more output, warmer tone,...
I really want to keep my bass! :)