Why become a member? ×

Can anyone identify this bass......

Cieran

[quote name='tommorichards' post='1284868' date='Jun 28 2011, 02:58 AM']Its a Vox. The closest model i can find is the panther

So maybe its a slight variation on it, or he after-marketed'd a pickup into it (or the original owner).[/quote]

Thanks for getting back to me about this. I think you're right about it being a Vox - there is an excellent resource for vintage Vox's here:

[url="http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/guitar/bass_guitar_index.html"]http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/guitar/bass_guitar_index.html[/url]

I love the bass in your avatar - what is it out of interest?

All the best,
Cieran

It originally started out as a stagg fusion bass, with a PJ setup. Over the years, i got bored and decided to do things to it. Covered it in denim, laquered the back of the neck black (as well as the front of the headstock with the stripe), changed the angle of the tuners, stuck in a soapbar humbucker, added a control plate, and changed the pickup volumes and tone to on/off arrangement.

This is what it used to look like:

Heres a full shot:

And the control layout

Edited by tommorichards

Wow that's quite a makeover! I tried lacquering the body of my lil Grestch shortie but after a months drying time i went to buff it using sandpaper and the bloody stuff rubbed off! I couldn't be bothered to do it again so i sanded it right back and stained the wood instead. How long did you wait for the lacquer before attempting to polish it?

Doe's the denim affect the acoustic properties at all?

I havent noticed any sonic differences at all really, but my ears have become more honed since then. :)

As with regards to the neck laquering, by laquering, i mean i got a can of spray i used on my motorbike, masked off the fretboard, and sprayed. I sprayed a few times, felt it was enough, let it dry, then used it. My playing has kinda given it a smoother finish. I played it pretty much everyday til i got my jazz about 4 weeks ago.

Yes, looks very much like a [url="http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/voxPantherBassV236.php"]Vox Panther[/url] - there was no version exactly the same as this (pickup-wise) - I think the scratchplate would have to have been changed out too - the originals are diagonal, and take up probably more space than that humbucker-looking thing.