Why become a member? ×

G&L L2000 Tribute problems/experiences

countjodius

Hi folks!

I recently bought a new G&L L2000 Tribute from a European website, and within a week I noticed a few problems. First of all there was a shielding/earthing issue as loud buzz would emit whenever I touched the metal hardware (even when playing in locations with no chance of electrical interference). Also, any contact with the hardware would be amplified through the pickups/amp, suggesting they were microphonic!

Another issue was with the Walnut finish. The bass body became marked or "glossy" in areas where played with my right hand- check out the photo! You can see the marks around the pickups, and the volume control on the left. I play only finger style & without excessive force, so I was surprised that it showed such signs of wear in only a week and a half of use!

I was wondering if anyone else has had such experiences with their G&Ls, or does this just sound like a bad apple? From everything I have read of these basses, they seemed like really good quality! The shop has said they can replace the bass that I sent back, but has said that the problem with the finish will happen anyway with the Walnut option(?)! I noticed that other finishes like Blueburst & Black seem to be more glossy than the "matte", so thought these might be a safer option! The other alternative (and perhaps easier!) is to simply get a refund!

Any advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated before I decide!

Thanks!

J

*EDIT: Maybe I should have posted this in the "Bass Guitars" section, can a Mod please move if possible, thanks!*

Edited by countjodius

Sounds like an earthing issue that could be easily rectified by a good guitar tech.

As for the oily marks, I have no personal experience with this particular model's finish but I have noticed a similar thing with basses that I've finished matt/satin myself - I don't think they are fobbing you off.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1283978' date='Jun 27 2011, 12:39 PM']Sounds like an earthing issue that could be easily rectified by a good guitar tech.

As for the oily marks, I have no personal experience with this particular model's finish but I have noticed a similar thing with basses that I've finished matt/satin myself - I don't think they are fobbing you off.[/quote]

Well it seems it was just a bad apple- I picked a cracking Blueburst L2000 Tribute from my local guitar shop after getting a refund from the European online store, and what a difference! It feels so much better quality in every way to the previous one- almost as if that one was some sort of prototype with out even the frets being properly dressed! See, it's worth paying that wee bit more to come away with the instrument you've actually played, and the knowledge that you can just head down the road for any after sales issues!

Cheers

J

Don't know about the finish, I've had a gloss one for 5 years without issue though mine is korean made.
I would advise giving the body a quick wipe to get rid of any acid left on it.

Almost certain a ground wire has come loose, it will be fairly obvious if you open it up at the back if there is a loose wire a soldering iron or tech should sort it out.