Why become a member? ×

Fitting a new scratchplate to a squier precision

Dr_Tom

Hey,

I'm just doing up a old squier that I got from my old high school years ago, completely stripped it, going to respray it olympic white with a black pickguard, got a new mighty mite rosewood jazz neck for it, throw in some seymour duncan quarter pounders and a black badass 2, and I should have myself a pretty decent bass.

However before respraying it I've decided to buy all the hardware and things to make sure I have all the right holes, so any new ones can be drilled before painting. I have the badass which fits perfectly, and now the new pickguard. The original was white so I wanted to buy a black one, I knew that whatever I bought unless from an old squier (this one is 97 according to the neck) would not fit perfectly and I would need to drill some new holes. So I bought a black mexican precision plate from WD music.

I've just recieved it though and when it is in the correct position a lot of the holes in the scratchplate hang over the wiring cavities, what do I do?

Are american scratchplates a lot different? the only other thing I could think of is buying really long screws which go right down to the bottom of the cavity for the holes that hang over?

Cheers
Tom

[quote name='Dr_Tom' post='1262926' date='Jun 9 2011, 05:05 PM']Hey,

I'm just doing up a old squier that I got from my old high school years ago, completely stripped it, going to respray it olympic white with a black pickguard, got a new mighty mite rosewood jazz neck for it, throw in some seymour duncan quarter pounders and a black badass 2, and I should have myself a pretty decent bass.

However before respraying it I've decided to buy all the hardware and things to make sure I have all the right holes, so any new ones can be drilled before painting. I have the badass which fits perfectly, and now the new pickguard. The original was white so I wanted to buy a black one, I knew that whatever I bought unless from an old squier (this one is 97 according to the neck) would not fit perfectly and I would need to drill some new holes. So I bought a black mexican precision plate from WD music.

I've just recieved it though and when it is in the correct position a lot of the holes in the scratchplate hang over the wiring cavities, what do I do?

Are american scratchplates a lot different? the only other thing I could think of is buying really long screws which go right down to the bottom of the cavity for the holes that hang over?

Cheers
Tom[/quote]

I have a similar problem with my Rickenfaker but as it's only one screw I've secured the pickguard in place and the one screw I've just "dropped" in the pickguard and stuck down with sticky tape on the back of the pickguard! It isn't ideal but who the hell will know? I'djust do this method repeated myself, it's not like all the screws are needed to secure a pickguard. You probably only need three or four and it ain't budging.

Failing that, have a look at the tons of modded squiers on here and maybe PM the owners to see where they got that "perfect fitting" guard from. I could have sworn someone said the axesrus guards fit CV squiers perfectly but I might be wrong.

Edited by Soloshchenko