Why become a member? ×

MarkBass Super Synth - any interesting Presets ?

mxm

Hi,

I've had one of these for a couple of years and was wondering has anyone got any interesting presets they could share ?!!

I've played about with the editing features but have never been convinced with my own attempts, other than a moog taurus-a-like that popped up on TB.

Thanks !

[quote name='mxm' post='1257423' date='Jun 5 2011, 04:05 PM']Hi,

I've had one of these for a couple of years and was wondering has anyone got any interesting presets they could share ?!!

I've played about with the editing features but have never been convinced with my own attempts, other than a moog taurus-a-like that popped up on TB.

Thanks ![/quote]

To be honest... I'm really disappointed with this pedal. I mostly use a couple of Akai SB-1 (deep impact) and thought the Mark Bass unit would be a good unit to bolster with but the sounds are no-where in the same league.

I'm looking to offload my one

Fair comment, I've not had a chance to put a Deep Impact through it's paces (and unlikely to as they're silly money now!) - I know it's highly regarded.

I'm kind of gravitating more towards the EHX MS, as I'm getting a more 'organic' old skool vibe from it, or the samples I've stumbled over...

I love mine...

Check out www.ourhelicalmind.bandcamp.com - The track 'Get Money' is based around 2 presets of the Super Synth.

I use it for quite a few things. I don't use the Octave section as it's sh*te... But spending a few weeks programming this bad boy, tweaking over time has proven to produce some impressive sound that I can't get out of my Moogerfooger set up. There was a thread a while back that I posted some old settings in (I still use some of them a lot).

Here - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=102594&st=0&p=957556&#entry957556"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry957556[/url]

Worth noting that I've noticed how massively different this responds to each bass I try it with. The sounds really need setting up for use with a specific Pre amp and stick to that bass...

Nice one thanks - I'll check them out.

Yes, I clocked the reaction of the MB synth to each different bass I've got ( ...and for the sake of continuity have moulded pretty much my entire pedal board around the one bass).

I seem to recall my MM Bongo HH is a bit of a no-go...!!!

It didn't like my GB at all.. Wouldn't trigger anything correctly. Performed well with my RIM (9v Aguilar Pre) but surprisingly sounds absolutely stunning with my Roscoe (Bart 18v Pre). I expected the 18v Pre to be the reason the GB struggled with it and Bart pre's are generally considered very hot, but it works an absolute treat!

Shep

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1257513' date='Jun 5 2011, 05:39 PM']It didn't like my GB at all.. Wouldn't trigger anything correctly. Performed well with my RIM (9v Aguilar Pre) but surprisingly sounds absolutely stunning with my Roscoe (Bart 18v Pre). I expected the 18v Pre to be the reason the GB struggled with it and Bart pre's are generally considered very hot, but it works an absolute treat!

Shep[/quote]

This. Most of these synth pedals need a hot signal. A lot of people moan about the fact that synth pedals don't trigger accurately or suffer with a 'drone' tone. I use a Status Kingbass with 18v pre...drives the pedal nicely

[quote name='crez5150' post='1257427' date='Jun 5 2011, 04:12 PM']To be honest... I'm really disappointed with this pedal. I mostly use a couple of Akai SB-1 (deep impact) and thought the Mark Bass unit would be a good unit to bolster with but the sounds are no-where in the same league.

I'm looking to offload my one[/quote]

I'm really surprised by this, and disappointed Markbass haven't done better. I had a Deep Impact - it tracked quite well and had a couple of decent presets, but was very limited compared to even the most basic monophonic keyboard/rack-based synth, and a lot of basic synth sounds that it should in theory have been capable of were frustratingly out of reach due to limited editing capability. It should be very easy to do better than that nowadays.