Why become a member? ×

Body artwork refinish

dannyp

I've had an idea of an artwork finish I'd like for a bass. A full body piece of artwork with a high gloss finish. I'm thinking along the lines of the [url="http://www.ritter-instruments.com/item_info.php?i=447"]Ritter Simpson bass[/url] or the [url="http://www.warwickbass.com/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=14667&katID=22127&cl=EN"]Warwick T.M. Stevens signature bass[/url].

I like the idea of getting one of my existing basses refinished. So the existing body stripped down to bare wood, then working up from that. As I'd consider my own DIY skills 'poor', I'd intend to pay for it to be professionally done.

Can anyone recommend a good person/company for the task? And/or link me up to any relevant forum threads (obviously I'm having a good search but don't want to miss anything)? And/or share any personal experiences along these lines?

As the idea is still in an embryonic stage, I'm not ruling out the possibility of integrating LEDs (and appropriate electronics) into the body which would obviously involve body routing. It's not a definite, just a thought - but, again, any ideas/experiences anyone could share would be gratefully taken on board.

Ideally I'm looking for a UK-based outfit that I could visit to discuss and cost the project up. Even more ideally, they'd be based in the South of England (I'm in Southampton).

Thanks in advance!