Why become a member? ×

GK 800RB Mod?

Count Bassie

Here's one for the amp tech-savvy folk:

I'm waiting on the arrival of an old GK 800RB, and want to know if it can be modded to split the signal at the effects send/return so I can control where the return goes to. Know what I mean? I want to distribute the effected, returned signal between hi and lo (it bi-amps). Can this be done? I want to send the effected signal to the hi side of the crossover only, to an open-back guitar cab, sending no effects to the lows.

I want to get the effects return split [i]after[/i] the EQ, and [i]before[/i] the Boost. I'm concerned that if my signal goes [u]through the Boost on the way to/from the effects loop[/u] it might end up being [u]too 'hot'[/u] for the effects, especially on the 'hi' side.

Thoughts?

Edited by Count Bassie

Looking at the manual you might have to move the cross over so that it goes before the boost for it to work

I'm no expert so I don't know how doable that is but that looks like how it would work to me.

Edited by Delberthot

If you were going to do that, it'd be much simpler to either run two heads or split your singal before the amp and then merge them into the amp again. Using a loop switch pedal that has a blend on it should work for a simple solution.

I don't know how possible it'd be to put in a crossover and route the power to another cab. With there only being one mono power amp, I don't think it'd be possible without another power amp anyway (could be wrong though).

Yeah I know I might be opening a can of worms here, but I had to ask! I'm going to run it by a local tech when the amp arrives (I just bought it from a dude in the next state- craigslist!), and if it's weird-but-do-able, I'm going to go for it. If not, hey. I'll still biamp it, and someone on TB suggested using a guitar cab for the highs. Said it would likely be a better way to go than a 210, and I'm thinking I agree.

We'll see, and I'll get back on it... especially if it turns out to be a good idea! Thanks for the replies!

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1256058' date='Jun 3 2011, 06:09 PM']you lucky Americans and your still in production 800RBs

The closest we have is the 700RB II which is what I have but I'd love to have another 800RB[/quote]

This one's an old road-dog actually, and missing one end of the steel chassis- so it's like a box that's open at one end! I have to write GK, maybe they have a spare part lying around. They tend to be pretty friendly that way. It pays to bottom-feed craigslist...

I played the 1001RB, and that's a sweet amp. I'd sooner have the 700RB, but both are no slouch.

As far as amps are concerned, I have discovered over time that the older it is, the better (read: "the more I like it"!). Some features on the newer generations might be quieter, more efficient in ways, but gimme a 70s SVT, Acoustic 370, older Trace, or an old GK over a new anything, any day. I only have 2 amps, both old buggers. And a new Hartke A-100 combo- for rehearsals... it sounds pretty good, but that one's all about convenience!

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1256058' date='Jun 3 2011, 11:09 PM']you lucky Americans and your still in production 800RBs

The closest we have is the 700RB II which is what I have but I'd love to have another 800RB[/quote]

AFAIK it's not the US's fault, I believe there's some materials used that don't follow EU legislation, I've always presumed it's something to do with lead, but I don't really have any idea.

Theoretically the RB series of heads are designed to sound like the 800RB, there's a section in the manual about it (to do with the contour knob), I've never used an 800RB though so I don't know how accurate they are.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1256082' date='Jun 3 2011, 06:47 PM']AFAIK it's not the US's fault, I believe there's some materials used that don't follow EU legislation, I've always presumed it's something to do with lead, but I don't really have any idea.[/quote]

Well we ate lead for breakfast over here until 1970, so it's probably just "The American Way". :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1256082' date='Jun 3 2011, 06:47 PM']Theoretically the RB series of heads are designed to sound like the 800RB, there's a section in the manual about it (to do with the contour knob), I've never used an 800RB though so I don't know how accurate they are.[/quote]

Didn't know that! Pretty cool.