Why become a member? ×

Mesa Bass 400+ *ON HOLD*

Aharon

I got this only a few weeks ago off fellow bass chatter steff (really great guy) in the hope that I could somehow integrate it into my current SVT set up for use in my band. It sounds fantastic in the room but the warm tube sound just isn't fitting in as well with the band as the SVT4 pro. The SVT4 / Gibson ripper combo IS the sound of the band and when i messed with it things just werent the same.

During this short time it has seen hardly any use. Its a great-sounding, well-built piece of bass amplification history and its too good to be lying around and deserves a proper home. I believe its the same amp used by Paul D'Amour on Tool's first album, on which the tone speaks for itself. In my opinion it sounds a lot better than some of the more modern hybrid stuff Mesa have been putting out lately.

[attachment=81605:mesa2.jpg][attachment=81606:mesa1.jpg][attachment=81607:mesa3.jpg]

Everything is in top working order and it has been recently treated to a proffessional service and full retube. It is extremely powerful but sounds great at lower volumes as well, especially if you give a little gain to the preamp. The 2nd preamp circuit turned out to be my favourite to work with, as it gave a nice musical growl and bags of tone. If you have a hot bass then the 1st preamp circuit would probably give a better sound.

I'm gonna take a slight loss on this one and sell it for £850 including the rack case. If you dont want or need the case, then I might let it go for £800 if you ask nicely.
I'm based in Cambridgeshire so feel free to come down and try it out. I'd rather not post this and it would probably be more cost effective to come and collect it anyway. Local pickup only folks.

I'm not interested in trades except on the off-chance somebody has a Spector Euro lying around (pm pics please) that they wish to trade.

Ahron

p.s. Steff, I got a set of those Elixir nanowebs and they havnt gone dead yet :)

Edited by Aharon

Hi mate,

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but if you want a piece of advice - play with it for another couple of weeks and try EQ-ing it in a different way... this is a great amp and I can tell you - I absolutely loved the sound of it with your bass and your playing. In fact, if I had the money, I would have buy it back for myself...

As for the Elixir strings - as I told you - you whether love them or hate them, but if you love them, that's a guaranteed great tone for about 3-4 months :).

Sorry for the off-topic, it's a bump for a great head and a great guy anyway.

[quote name='paulwillson' post='1257472' date='Jun 5 2011, 05:03 PM']interested mate, would have to sell all my possesions though :) where abouts in the shire are you based?[/quote]

hi paul.

My gear is currently based in swavesey, a small village a few miles from the centre. If its easier for you I can arrange things a little closer to the city centre at my house but in this case you would need to bring a cab to try it out as my 6x10 is back in the village atm. you're welcome to come try it out.

ahron