Why become a member? ×

Should we have an unrecommended luthiers thread?

[quote name='deepbass5' post='1253898' date='Jun 2 2011, 01:11 PM']Slightly uncomfortable with the suggestion, as it will end up a witch hunt, a lot of BC'ers can be a little OTT on this sort of subject. If the Moderators wish to set up a sort of Trip Adviser style star rating that may be more useful. Some luthiers are better in certain areas than others. Neck, Body, Electrics, or just basic professional finishing. Or the guy who constructs their necks or wires the control cavity leaves to join someone else or sets up on his own we maybe should know about it.
We have a lot of power here to influence others so criticism should be done responsibly, direct to those concerned. They should have a means of redress. I am thinking more of the British Bass Luthier, not the local music shop who knows this guy who tinkers with guitars.

:) :)[/quote]

+1

Knowing a couple of guys in the trade, there are potentially as many issues with customers not fully articulating what it is they want as luthiers not being able to do it (one man's perfect action is another's unplayable action etc). If you are unhappy with work done, talk to the person who did it well before you start bad-mouthing them and their livelihood here. If their response is unprofessional and you can back it up, then it is reasonable to leave feedback in the feedback section. I think however that out of courtesy, the mods should let anyone discussed on this forum know that this is the case and offer them the right to respond; it's all very well suggesting that feedback is left, but the forum in question is for members, and not all people concerned will be.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1256074' date='Jun 3 2011, 11:41 PM']+1

Knowing a couple of guys in the trade, there are potentially as many issues with customers not fully articulating what it is they want as luthiers not being able to do it (one man's perfect action is another's unplayable action etc). If you are unhappy with work done, talk to the person who did it well before you start bad-mouthing them and their livelihood here. If their response is unprofessional and you can back it up, then it is reasonable to leave feedback in the feedback section. I think however that out of courtesy, the mods should let anyone discussed on this forum know that this is the case and offer them the right to respond; it's all very well suggesting that feedback is left, but the forum in question is for members, and not all people concerned will be.[/quote]

This is exactly what I've done. I've emailed the bloke explaining why I'm unhappy with the service, my new main gripe being the massive sanding/filing scratch he's left on the first fret and I've asked for a part refund. As I've said, depending on his response I'll be providing photographic evidence for all my issues with his service.

It's not my issue to slander somebody or bad mouth them. I paid a lot of money for a professional service and have spent this morning setting up my guitar as what I got back was, to me, pretty unplayable. I don't want another bass chatter having to do the same.

Edited by Soloshchenko

[quote name='Beedster' post='1256074' date='Jun 3 2011, 11:41 PM']+1

Knowing a couple of guys in the trade, there are potentially as many issues with customers not fully articulating what it is they want as luthiers not being able to do it (one man's perfect action is another's unplayable action etc). If you are unhappy with work done, talk to the person who did it well before you start bad-mouthing them and their livelihood here. If their response is unprofessional and you can back it up, then it is reasonable to leave feedback in the feedback section. I think however that out of courtesy, the mods should let anyone discussed on this forum know that this is the case and offer them the right to respond; it's all very well suggesting that feedback is left, but the forum in question is for members, and not all people concerned will be.[/quote]

+2.

I think the first course of action when one is not happy is to tell the business/luthier/repairperson that you're not happy with the results, and why. I find that a lot of the time it is down to either communication or expectation. A responsible business should consider your point and try to resolve the issue.

Tip 1: now whenever I leave an instrument or device to be repaired or set up by anyone, I usually print a note describing exactly what I want and leave it in the case or taped to the amp. At least I do get a small amount of comfort that what I want is not lost in translation or someone's scribble on the back of an envelope.

Tip 2: the first time that an instrument has been set up to my perfect satisfaction, I take a note of string heights in three places, jot the down and leave the note in the case, with a reference to the strings that are on. I measure with electronic calipers and with feeler gauges normally at the 1st fret, 8th fret and 15th fret (or thereabouts - doesn't matter too much as long as you note where.) This allows me to make small seasonal adjustments without too much guesswork, and it allows me to tell the luthier on the next occasion. I also note if the strings are strung through the body or at the bridge. All in all a five-minute job that offers me a lot of peace of mind.

I came to this method because I've often had instruments returned to me with a much higher action than I wanted.

- martin