Why become a member? ×

Learning to pick

Rich44

I've pretty much always played exclusively fingerstyle, as I feel I can get more accuracy that way. However, there are some songs I want to play which i think would sound better with a pick, so its something I'd like to learn.

I've tried a few times playing with a pick, I'm fine just playing down or upstrokes, but as soon as I try to alternate it all goes to pot. I struggle with catching the pick too much on the string with the upstrokes. Are there any tips on holding the pick, or just generally starting out with a pick that could help?

[quote name='Rich44' post='1239167' date='May 21 2011, 11:38 AM']I've pretty much always played exclusively fingerstyle, as I feel I can get more accuracy that way. However, there are some songs I want to play which i think would sound better with a pick, so its something I'd like to learn.

I've tried a few times playing with a pick, I'm fine just playing down or upstrokes, but as soon as I try to alternate it all goes to pot. I struggle with catching the pick too much on the string with the upstrokes. Are there any tips on holding the pick, or just generally starting out with a pick that could help?[/quote]

it's a big topic, but i'll just say this to start you off... anchor your picking hand on the bass.. don't just let it float freely.. that'll allow you to have more control over the movement of the pick

try resting your ring finger and little finger of your picking hand on the bass body or lightly on the strings... try lightly resting the side of your hand near the bridge, and picking about 4-5 inches in from the saddles

anchorage! no floating! guitarists can do it because they have tiny strings to tickle... we have to give every string an authoritative plunk, so anchor your hand and play every note like you mean it :)

Well as a life-long pick player, I`ve found that having a firm pick (1.14mm) helps, as the attack is instant, so the notes are more precise. Much of my playing is alternate strokes, so instead of the notes being 1-2-3-4, a lot of the time I`ll get 1-2, 1-2-3, 1-2, 1-2-3. Having listened to it recorded, it doesn`t sound particularly good on its own, maybe a bit loose sounding, but put with drums it gives a really nice (in my view) rhythm for the rest of the band to work over.

So I suppose what I`m saying here is develop what`s right for you.

dont let anyone try and tell you how to hold the pick,

just experiment and do what feels more comfortable and works best for you.

But i would agree with what has been said and anchor your arm / hand somewhere on the bass,
some people have the back of their hand or their pinky resting just behind the saddles on the bridge which can work.

Remember to also take into consideration what angle you're striking the string with the pick, straight on will give you a mellow but clicky clean sound, whereas with a slightly twisted pick you'll attack at the string windings and give you a growly rock tone! Awesome!

and think about where along the string you play, I.e, near the bridge or a fuller sound nearer the pickup.

P.S. for me the dunlop Tortex .88mm picks are the best, (The green ones) but again experiment and see which you like and sounds best for what you're doing...

Edited by son of frog

And don't let anyone tell you it's an inferior means of playing - in fact, it's essential for a particular sort of good rock sound, and the only way to keep up with a certain sort of metal (unless you get into that three finger alternation a la Billy Sheehan, or the flamenco four finger tremolo).

Somewhat in concert with the experience of others - that different things work for different people - I found guitar picking techniques really useful.

I think John Petrucci's 'Rock Discipline' videos sorted out some sort of picking technique for me (at a basic level, alternate strokes and string skipping are really important).

After that, apply these techniques to scales, and speed up the metronome. Then play Misrlou for kicks, too.

Try a variety of picks - they all give different sounds - but thin, hard, stiff picks are the fastest to play with.

I got some useful tips here a while ago:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=114453&hl=pick"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=114453&hl=pick[/url]

I seem to be easing into playing with a pick, still not completely comfortable with it yet. I think you'll pretty quickly find your own style but it's good to use other people's experience when you're starting out.

[quote name='Bass Awkward' post='1240004' date='May 22 2011, 09:20 AM']And don't let anyone tell you it's an inferior means of playing - in fact, it's essential for a particular sort of good rock sound, and the only way to keep up with a certain sort of metal (unless you get into that three finger alternation a la Billy Sheehan, or the flamenco four finger tremolo).

Somewhat in concert with the experience of others - that different things work for different people - I found guitar picking techniques really useful.

I think John Petrucci's 'Rock Discipline' videos sorted out some sort of picking technique for me (at a basic level, alternate strokes and string skipping are really important).

After that, apply these techniques to scales, and speed up the metronome. Then play Misrlou for kicks, too.

Try a variety of picks - they all give different sounds - but thin, hard, stiff picks are the fastest to play with.[/quote]

Cheers I'll check out the vids.

I guess its just practice really, and fingerpicking was equally as alien when starting out.