Why become a member? ×

function band, pros and cons

nomis

[quote name='JPS' post='1237026' date='May 19 2011, 04:02 PM']Pros
Can be quite good money (although you have to take into account all the prep etc involved).
Might improve you as a player.
Can get to play some nice/interesting venues.
Playing to a lively crowd is a good buzz
Satisfaction of a job well done etc.
Excuse to buy more gear.
Time away from family.

Cons
Can very long days/hours.
Having to play songs you detest.
Having to play songs you love and realising after a while that you now detest them as well.
Time away from family.
Boorish drunks and overly demanding bridezillas.
Lots of waiting around.
Lots of preparation and organising pre-gig.
Realising that it's a Saturday night and there's lots of things you'd rather be doing.

I did it for five years, largely enjoyable, some real highs, but ultimately became utterly jaded and bored by it to the extent where I rarely play bass anymore, have no desire to join another band etc. On the bright side I now enjoy listening to music a lot more than I have done for years.[/quote]
All of this even the same legth of time doing it but I still enjoy playing infact im more into it lately than ever.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1237448' date='May 19 2011, 09:27 PM']Out moonlighting as a sound engineer I've got to say I've seen good, versatile functions bands die on their arses just because the audience aren't up for it. It's amazing how far from appropriate some bookings will be.[/quote]
I dont care how long someone has been in the business there is no way of judging this, I have played in a blues covers band aimed at the older audience shall we say and a group of 18-25 year old girls have danced all night and had a great night thanks to us and also done indie covers to 50+ audience that have been doing all the moves and the Ian brown microphone thing all night too. On the other hand we have died playing the indie band to 18-25 and blues to the over 50's.

Some folk would [i]love[/i] the rockabilly 30's stuff where others would be ready to kill the bass player if he spins it around, Some people [i]love[/i] Motown but we have been told if we play any even as part of the disco we wont get paid (seriously).

You just cant please all the people all the time,Fact. The closest we have come is this- DJ gets setup early (Our drummer is the dj) bob the bulider and crap for the kids to slide around to building into middle of the road James Morrison kind of shiz before the buffet building into something a bit more up beat like the Jam and stuff maybe. Then the Live band (Us obviously) playing early 90's indie classics mixed with more up to date killers,strokes,sex on fire etc etc all in one full on solid set then DJ does the living on a prayer and Tina Turner stuff mixed with a bit of whatever the dancers want, the twist and cheesy disco etc, Sloppy mush for the drunk bloke with the fat ugly wife to tell her he loves her whilst spilling the last of the trifle down himself, Pack the van, Collect the wonga, Home!

[quote name='bassfunk' post='1237438' date='May 19 2011, 09:21 PM']I would say though that somebody has to be in charge, both on stage and off. I take all the bookings, meet with the clients, sort out the deposits/contracts and logistics. On stage I call I drop tunes and add them in to the set on the fly if I think the crowd will be more receptive to them. It's hard work but it's worth it when a couple or guests at a function tell you how much they love the band etc.[/quote]
+1 for somebody has to be in charge.

I've played (briefly) in a couple of function bands that have failed miserably because no-one took charge. A band leader needs to be decided from the start for both on and off-stage, and it needs to be worth their while so they aren't doing all the extra work without any extra benefits...If a band isn't properly run, it will struggle to keep musicians and you'll spend more time auditioning and rehearsing than gigging and earning.