Why become a member? ×

Natural looking jazz bass build

Ross

Body I think is slightly tinted by the shellac sanding sealer, did 5 coats of that with a brush. The neck I didn't bother as it was nice and smooth anyway.
Both got a good coating of clear gloss nitrocellulose lacquer, I can't remember exactly how many as I was getting rather high off the fumes due to my lack of a respirator but I think it was 6.

The cavities I used copper foil with conductive adhesive preapplied.
Easy to do, I used the cavities themselves as templates and cut the pieces to line the bottom slightly bigger than needed so they rose up the sides.
Then measured the depth and cut strips to line the edges, added a few beads of solder round the edges to connect the pieces incase the conductive glue drys out and then soldered a length of wire between the pickups and control cavity to connect it all up.
And as you can see ran a strip to the bridge, largely because I can be bothered to drill a hole to run a earthing wire.

• 1 month later...

Got it all wired now after a cash injection, if I hadn't ordered the wrong kind of knobs it'd be done today but lesson learned, read more carefull next time. Hoping to get some sound clips up because it sounds gorgeous and plays really well.
Went for wizard 84's in the end, thought my wiring didn't work after much fiddling about and f-ing and blinding, turns out I'd just knocked the switch on the bass pod to line in by accident.

It's all in now, just need to send the knobs back and source/ fabricate some for the 1/4" inch shafts. But I'm willing to say, completed and damn good too.
I've learnt plenty on the way, I can't wait to do my next one.

Couple of pics: