Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice please

Not sure if this is the right section to ask, but anyway after some advice. I've got an old Aria proII that I stripped down a while ago and have been thinking about how to finish it. I sanded the body back to natural wood and although the body has been made from three pieces glued together the grain looks pretty good and the joins are not too obvious so thought I would keep the natural look. But what I am not too sure about is what to finish the body with to protect it, clear lacquer? or some other product. and can it be used on bare wood. Also will it affect the sound? Have been told that certain products can deaden the wood.

There are loads of different oils, but I think I just used linseed oil on mine and then a coat of coloron wax.... No doubt someone who knows a lot more about this kind of thing will be along soon to give you a more informed answer.

You could probably google "oil finishing guitars" or something to get an idea of whats involved too.

In fact, a quick google just threw this up...

[url="http://www.lmii.com/carttwo/FinishOverview.htm"]http://www.lmii.com/carttwo/FinishOverview.htm[/url]

Edited by 4-string-thing

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1219277' date='May 3 2011, 10:20 PM']Rustins Danish oil is easy and gives good results, used it on all my stuff. Don't get Wilco own brand oil, got some for my doors and it totally sucks.[/quote]

I think I actually used Wilko's own .... What a cheapskate I am! It was still better than the horrible brown varnish that the basses previous owner had used!

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1219281' date='May 3 2011, 10:25 PM']I think I actually used Wilko's own .... What a cheapskate I am! It was still better than the horrible brown varnish that the basses previous owner had used![/quote]

Wilcos is more a wipe on varnish, Rustins is tung oil is a base that lets it penetrate.

[quote name='Benplaysbass' post='1219290' date='May 3 2011, 10:29 PM']Thanks alot, will give it a go.[/quote]

The secret is all in the sanding.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1219292' date='May 3 2011, 10:31 PM']Wilcos is more a wipe on varnish, Rustins is tung oil is a base that lets it penetrate.

The secret is all in the sanding.[/quote]

True..... no matter how smooth you think it is, as soon as you put oil on, scratches seem to appear from nowhere!