Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NS Design NXT v WAV - Any difference?

Linus27

Looking at buying an NS Design WAV and noticed they don't make them anymore. Instead, it seems to be replaced by the NXT. Is this just a name change or is there a big difference between the two models? Plus, is the NXT any good?

Edited by Linus27

The WAV was made in China and NS Design were having quality control problems. The WAV was replaced by the NXT which is made in the Czech Republic in the same factory that makes the CR models. Essentially the NXT is the same bass as the WAV just better quality. All reports I've read on the bass have been good so far.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='BassBus' post='1218727' date='May 3 2011, 03:47 PM']The WAV was made in China and NS Design were having quality control problems. The WAV was replaced by the NXT which is made in the Czech Republic in the same factory that makes the CR models. Essentially the NXT is the same bass as the WAV just better quality. All reports I've read on the bass have been good so far.[/quote]

Excellent, thank you very much.

I've not played the NXT but I'm currently a proud owner of both a WAV 4 and a CRM5. The WAV does have some cosmetic issues, but nothing too bad: the stand is not sturdy and the rivet holding the top bracket on mine fell out quickly, but easily solved by replacing with a bent nail (you can always buy a CR stand but they are heavy); the WAV fingerboard is stained rosewood and for the first couple of months my fingers were black after playing, but now fingerboard is fine and consistent; the finishing and varnish is a but shoddy, and you get the impression it could have easily been improved (a few scratches, lack of sanding, etc.); there is no pre amp BUT the biggest surprise for me is that this actually makes it easier to get a db sound than with the pre amped CR bass! You do need a decent outboard preamp but my Markbass LM250 through a 12 inch cab does a sterling job of this. The WAV is also really light compared to the CR (ie can easily lift whole thing with one hand rather than two.) having said all this the CR is just beautifully crafted and tonally much more versatile, and I would be much more confidant sending it DI to front of house than the WAV. I'm currently debating whether to keep the WAV or sell it so if you decide to go for the WAV let me know.
Andy.