Why become a member? ×

How About This For a Bargain!

GT40Graham

Hi All,

I thought that you might be interested to see my latest acquisition which I picked up on Easter Monday whilst on a day out at the coast. It's a 1982 Rickenbacker 4001 which has been sanded down from JetGlo (black) to the natural finish that you see here. It has been brush-finished with satin varnish. It has a broken truss rod cover, the knobs are missing the silver tops and the strap buttons are rubbish and in the wrong places, the original holes having been filled in. There is some minor damage to the fingerboard finish at the dusty end of the neck but all in all, it's a nice bass with a low action.

Since taking this rather poor quality photo, I've cleaned it up, changed the knobs and strap buttons and gigged it. I don't know whether to keep the natural finish and gloss it properly or have it totally refinished in some unusual colour.

The price? Under £900!

Regards,

250 quid or so of wisely spent cash would get that back to mint condition. Sand and proper respray (with holes filled in and strap buttons put back in the proper places). Replacement truss rod cover could be tricky - I don't know how Ricky are with their parts but they maybe get you a new one of receipt of the old one. Fingerboard could be filled, scraped and sanded for an invisible repair.

Just food for thought if you wanted to do a full restoration!

Edited by EBS_freak

Hi,

I can live with broken truss rod cover, it's missing a small corner just behind the nut under the E string. It doesn't appear that you can get them easily nowadays. I have a white on black truss rod cover and black scratchplate that I bought many years ago from the UK importer, I had to send them my original to prove that I had one. I tried these on this bass but they didn't suit the colour. Rickenbacker don't list the truss rod cover as a spare.

I've already changed the strap buttons for the Rickenbacker strap-lock types.

Edited by GT40Graham

[quote name='GT40Graham' post='1217715' date='May 2 2011, 04:32 PM']I can live with broken truss rod cover, it's missing a small corner just behind the nut under the E string. It doesn't appear that you can get them easily nowadays.[/quote]

That would be down to the forgeries.