Why become a member? ×

WARWICK Quad V1

Axebassmurderer

Hi,

I have a Quad VI 600W amp running through two 4x10 with attenuators, at the time the only compatible cabs Warwick did for this head.

Now I LOVE this amp, great sound, great look, but it is prone to cut out when I'm really going for it.

Any advice (DO NOT SAY BUY AN AMPEG!!) I'm trying to resolve an issue not sell and try something else. I was just wondering if any other Warwick users have experienced the same issues...

[quote name='Axebassmurderer' post='1211499' date='Apr 26 2011, 10:24 AM']Hi,

I have a Quad VI 600W amp running through two 4x10 with attenuators, at the time the only compatible cabs Warwick did for this head.

Now I LOVE this amp, great sound, great look, but it is prone to cut out when I'm really going for it.

Any advice (DO NOT SAY BUY AN AMPEG!!) I'm trying to resolve an issue not sell and try something else. I was just wondering if any other Warwick users have experienced the same issues...[/quote]
When you say cutting out... is it the power to the amp (amp completely dead), loss of output signal but amp still lights up and how/when does it happen?

Total loss does point to something on the output side but it literally could be anything, when the signal is lost can you still get something from the headphone socket? IIRC these amps had valves in the preamp, I doubt very much that they would be the cause of total signal loss but if they've never been replaced or if they have recently been done and they aren't seated, could this be an issue? I don't know if 100% of the signal path flows through the valves but if so and one has a dodgy valve seat or isn't inserted fully... just thinking out loud. I have to ask the obvious and assume that you have tried alternate speaker leads and identified that it isn't a duff instrument cable or dodgy bass jack socket?

I very much doubt we'd be able to diagnose remotely any way so I'd book it into somewhere to get it looked at. :)

Hi,

Thanks for the note. It's definately not the obvious possibilities (leads, unseated valves etc.) it used to happen all the time when I was in Angel Witch but we rehearsed SO loud I just thought the amp was protecting it's self before I blew it up overdriving it. It happened however at a recent gig with another band on the 2 hour mark and the mute light came on, again I assume it's protecting it's self but cutting out altogether seems to be a harsh thing to build into an amp's behavious just because I'm driving it too hard.

Could it be a setting issue? There is still power to everything when it goes silent. It just stays that way for a minute then comes back. I'm barely on a third voulume when it goes.

[quote name='Axebassmurderer' post='1211637' date='Apr 26 2011, 01:14 PM']Hi,

Thanks for the note. It's definately not the obvious possibilities (leads, unseated valves etc.) it used to happen all the time when I was in Angel Witch but we rehearsed SO loud I just thought the amp was protecting it's self before I blew it up overdriving it. It happened however at a recent gig with another band on the 2 hour mark and the mute light came on, again I assume it's protecting it's self but cutting out altogether seems to be a harsh thing to build into an amp's behavious just because I'm driving it too hard.

Could it be a setting issue? There is still power to everything when it goes silent. It just stays that way for a minute then comes back. I'm barely on a third voulume when it goes.[/quote]

Angel Witch... now that's potentially a blast from the past unless you are a new band using that name! :)

I'd say that it is a protection circuit kicking in and it's probably a good idea to get it looked at sooner rather than later as it is a warning that things are not well! Your cab load is appropriate for the amp isn't it; you aren't running a pair of 4 ohm cabs or have any of the drivers in the cabs ever been replaced, possibly with the wrong ohmage drivers?

Ello again,

Yep THE Angel Witch. I took on the Warwick rig as an endorsee and blew 3 15" cabs as a result of incorrect ohmage (their fault not mine). That's why I ended up with the 2 x 4x10's. Everything is as it should be compatibility wise. I remember someone from Dana B.Goode in USA saying 'well, turn your bass down!' Duh, we're a metal band, I wanna move mountains not splat like an old slipper!

Who would you recommend in the South East to take it to? It clearly needs a doctor, right?