Why become a member? ×

USA Tobias Basic 5 now for sale @£600 or trade

garbev

I've been putting this off for a while but I'm just not playing it anymore and I hate
instruments as household ornaments. This has been my main gigging and recording
5 string since I bought it off the forum a few years ago. I'm mainly playing 4 strings
these days and I have another five for the rare occasions when it's required.

It's an early model(No2291) Basic 5, not one of the pre Gibson models but I belive it's a '93
model, it has the "Tobias" stamped bridge and it originally had a Bartolini XTCT preamp.
The preamp failed around a year ago so I had a Bart NTMB 3 band fitted.

The bass has a 34 inch scale 5 piece Maple and Purpleheart asymmetric Through Neck, Pau Ferro
fingerboard, with solid Flamed Maple body wings. Bartolini pups and preamp, Tobias bridge
and Grover Tuners. String spacing at the bridge is 17.5mm

It's in good condition, some dings at the lower bout of the body, frets are very good
and the dual truss rods work perfectly, it's set up with a low action and is buzz free
all over the neck.

When I bought the Bass I had some concerns about a mark at the top of the neck
near the headstock, I obviously queried this with the seller who assured me the
bass had not suffered a headstock break. Trusting man that I am I had it checked
by a local Luthier, Gary Lewis based in Neath who thought it could have been a gouge
or scrape on the neck caused by a sharp object, as there was no evidence of
damage from any impact at the front or rear of the headstock, I've tried to show this mark
on some closeups of the mark and the headstock.

The bass plays and sounds fantastic, the B string response is brilliant sounds like
an extension of the E string....best way I can describe it .

Have a look:

Some pix of the headstock:

The Bass comes with a Tobias hardcase this is in pretty good nick but the
combination locking latch is broken.
I took the guitar to the first South Wales bass bash....RIP Si....and everyone
who played it were very impressed.

Tradewise I'm looking for a Stingray4, USA 70's reissue jazz or USA 50's reissue P Bass
Ideally with maple f/boards. I don't mind a Japanese Fender but would want some cash on top.

I'm in S.Wales but don't mind driving M4/M5 for fuel costs, or could courier.
I'll be in London next Weekend visiting family.

Thanks,

Gary.

Edited by garbev

Good Lord. I think thats the bass i sold you a long time ago ;-) Looks very nice :-) I have sold so many basses on here sometimes i just loose track haha. How much are you selling it for?

Brian

[quote name='garbev' post='1209340' date='Apr 23 2011, 05:56 PM']I've been putting this off for a while but I'm just not playing it anymore and I hate
instruments as household ornaments. This has been my main gigging and recording
5 string since I bought it off the forum a few years ago. I'm mainly playing 4 strings
these days and I have another five for the rare occasions when it's required.

It's an early model(No2291) Basic 5, not one of the pre Gibson models but I belive it's a '93
model, it has the "Tobias" stamped bridge and it originally had a Bartolini XTCT preamp.
The preamp failed around a year ago so I had a Bart NTMB 3 band fitted.

The bass has a 34 inch scale 5 piece Maple and Purpleheart asymmetric Through Neck, Pau Ferro
fingerboard, with solid Flamed Maple body wings. Bartolini pups and preamp, Tobias bridge
and Grover Tuners. String spacing at the bridge is 17.5mm

It's in good condition, some dings at the lower bout of the body, frets are very good
and the dual truss rods work perfectly, it's set up with a low action and is buzz free
all over the neck.

When I bought the Bass I had some concerns about a mark at the top of the neck
near the headstock, I obviously queried this with the seller who assured me the
bass had not suffered a headstock break. Trusting man that I am I had it checked
by a local Luthier, Gary Lewis based in Neath who thought it could have been a gouge
or scrape on the neck caused by a sharp object, as there was no evidence of
damage from any impact at the front or rear of the headstock, I've tried to show this mark
on some closeups of the mark and the headstock.

The bass plays and sounds fantastic, the B string response is brilliant sounds like
an extension of the E string....best way I can describe it .

Have a look:

Some pix of the headstock:

The Bass comes with a Tobias hardcase this is in pretty good nick but the
combination locking latch is broken.
I took the guitar to the first South Wales bass bash....RIP Si....and everyone
who played it were very impressed.

Tradewise I'm looking for a Stingray4, USA 70's reissue jazz or USA 50's reissue P Bass
Ideally with maple f/boards. I don't mind a Japanese Fender but would want some cash on top.

I'm in S.Wales but don't mind driving M4/M5 for fuel costs, or could courier.
I'll be in London next Weekend visiting family.

Thanks,

Gary.[/quote]

I received Garbev's Fretless Marleaux 5 in a trade and can confirm that this Tobias also had a flawless 34" scale B to match it - A real versatile, heavy duty workhorse + BIG TONE!! Gary's a lovely chap to deal with and knows his gear...can damn well play it too! :)

Edited by Schnozzalee