Why become a member? ×

Hearing yourself on stage-advice please

Old Horse Murphy

Here's a funny one...

I'm not sure anyone on this Forum will suffer with EXACTLY the same problem, but there might be a few people who have similar issues.

I have badly cauliflowered ears and one of their side effects is it makes sounds come from different directions than if they were coming through a normal shaped ear. As a result I often struggle to hear myself through my amp when we're on stage and it is behind me. As I don't normally play through a PA, I don't use any form of Monitor.

I play through a Markbass Little Mark head in to a Schroeder 21012L cabinet, which has an angled speaker (this helps a lot).

Other than possibly putting a wedge under the Cab to angle it further upwards, does anyone have any suggestions?

Is it possible to run a monitor directly off my amp through the Line Out? If so, what sort of monitor should I use? The handbook says that the maximum output is balanced xlr with a max. voltage of 10vpp.

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea what this means (I was the most attentive student as I much preferred the rugby pitch to lessons- hence the ear problem :))

Any help/suggestions/sarcastic comments are most welcome.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='138328' date='Feb 11 2008, 05:23 PM']Here's a funny one...

I'm not sure anyone on this Forum will suffer with EXACTLY the same problem, but there might be a few people who have similar issues.

I have badly cauliflowered ears and one of their side effects is it makes sounds come from different directions than if they were coming through a normal shaped ear. As a result I often struggle to hear myself through my amp when we're on stage and it is behind me. As I don't normally play through a PA, I don't use any form of Monitor.

I play through a Markbass Little Mark head in to a Schroeder 21012L cabinet, which has an angled speaker (this helps a lot).

Other than possibly putting a wedge under the Cab to angle it further upwards, does anyone have any suggestions?

Is it possible to run a monitor directly off my amp through the Line Out? If so, what sort of monitor should I use? The handbook says that the maximum output is balanced xlr with a max. voltage of 10vpp.

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea what this means (I was the most attentive student as I much preferred the rugby pitch to lessons- hence the ear problem :))

Any help/suggestions/sarcastic comments are most welcome.[/quote]

I use a wedge monitor run out of the ext. speaker output..... then have this sitting next to my main vocal monitor on stage..... this works very well!!

[quote name='crez5150' post='138332' date='Feb 11 2008, 05:27 PM']I use a wedge monitor run out of the ext. speaker output..... then have this sitting next to my main vocal monitor on stage..... this works very well!![/quote]

That's what I was thinking of doing- good idea. From the technical info I've given about my amp, would you have any clue as to what sort of wedge I should look at?

Cheers!!

OHM

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

|I'm not familiar with your rig but it sounds like your taking the output from the Line out.... which is basically a line level output in which case you would need a powered wedge. Check to see what Impedance your head puts out and what the impedance of your cab is..... if your running at 8 or 4 ohm then you can add an a monitor into the chain..... My advice though would be to purchase a decent make with enough headroom, output and sensitivity. For you info I'm using JBL SRX712M's for monitors.