Why become a member? ×

Amp and Cab advice

Guest baretas

Guest baretas

Hi there! For some time now I've been going around playing in my Peavey TNT 160 but I guess the time has come to upgrade. The sound in my band evolved to a more faster, aggressive (with overdrive/distortion) and lower tuning and now my combo just doesn't cut it. Also, the guitarist is using a 200W Marshall power amp that even in low settings forces me to push my Peavey to 11... :)

I am still searching for the right gear for my sound, but for now I wanted your opinion on amps/cabs suitable for the type of sound that I mentioned (some weird cross between punk, metal, hardcore, crust, trash).

One of my ideas is getting a 4x10 cab and use it with "clean" sound in left side of the speakers and "over driven" sound in the other side. For this I would need a "stereo" cab (the only example I know is a Marshall 1960A which is for guitar, but allows independent inputs for each side/column of speakers). I read the Ampeg SVT4 manual and I think that if I used the overdrive pedal in the FX loop (connected to the Right Return) I could achieve this. Am i correct?

Any suggestion/criticism is welcome so go ahead and chime in! :)

P.S.
As for budget I am completely unaware of current prices (new/used), but I prefer to save and pay more for something that will work and be "road resistant" than to be a cheapskate and regret it later. Let's just say I want to spend around 1000€.

Edited by baretas

1st question. What's your budget?

a stereo 4x10 is a pointless gimmick IMO. You'd be wiser to go for either 2 2x10 or 2x12 cabs & stack em vertically & instead of having a clean & dirty, just split the signal, put one side thru your fx & then merge em back together before going into your amp. Decent cabs will handle whatever sounds you're planning on putting thru em.

If you can afford it, have a look at the neo cabs from Markbass, Genz Benz, GK, TC electronic & so on. Then take a look at some of the lightwieght amps from those guys too.

Guest baretas

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1206115' date='Apr 20 2011, 05:12 PM']1st question. What's your budget?

a stereo 4x10 is a pointless gimmick IMO. You'd be wiser to go for either 2 2x10 or 2x12 cabs & stack em vertically & instead of having a clean & dirty, just split the signal, put one side thru your fx & then merge em back together before going into your amp. Decent cabs will handle whatever sounds you're planning on putting thru em.

If you can afford it, have a look at the neo cabs from Markbass, Genz Benz, GK, TC electronic & so on. Then take a look at some of the lightwieght amps from those guys too.[/quote]

My budget would be around the 1000€ mark, but could go higher if the gear is worth it.