Why become a member? ×

Yet another Ohm / Wattage Question

son of frog

I have a Trace Elliot BLX80 Combo, and basically what i want to do is take out the head unit from the combo, which can be done with relative ease with some screws on the rear,

It has a Speaker output, which at the moment is plugged into the Combos 1x15" speaker, but this speaker is pretty knackered, and old, I was thinking about putting the Head through a 4x10"

And the Cabinet i had in mind is the Cheap Marshall MBC410 (around £200)

But... and this is a big but, The combo has a label on the speaker output saying 8Ohms and the head is 80watts.

The Marshall cabinet is rated 600watts @ 4Ohms...
And i just wanted to clarify whether the Cabinet can be used? My immediate assumption was that it cant?

But i may be wrong, it would be nice to know before i end up spending more money on an 8Ohm Cab.

Cheers.

This review of the BLX-80 suggests it outputs 80 watts into a 4 ohm minimum load - [url="http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=137&type=combo"]http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=137&type=combo[/url]

I'm not familiar with the back panel of this combo. If the '8 ohm' speaker output on the back is for an extension cab rather than the internal 10" speaker then the amp will be able to handle a 4 ohm min load.

I looked for the BLX-80 manual online but couldn't find one.

[quote name='son of frog' post='1202709' date='Apr 17 2011, 04:26 PM']Ahh,

You see, i think my combo is actually connected to the 10" speaker via this external speaker output, I will enclose a picture to show what i mean.[/quote]

Hmm, yes you're right. No connection for an additional extension speaker so looks like the head won't be suitable for a 4 ohm cab.