Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass tone pot problem

Davetbass

Just finished doing up a bitsa jazz bass with active EMG`s and have a wierd problem with the tone control. The bass arrived with no tone cap so after a quick visit to the EMG site, I bought a 0.1 tone cap and soldered it in. Everything is working fine untill I turn the pot fully clockwise, then it cuts the signal.

Help! :)

Dave

[quote name='BOD2' post='136896' date='Feb 8 2008, 10:53 PM']I don't suppose it's a "no load" pot with a break at the end of the carbon resistance track is it ?

Failing that I'd give it a squirt of contact cleaner to make sure there's no dirt causing problems.[/quote]

It might be mate....to be honest I dont have a bloody clue! :huh: What`s the function of a no load pot? It`s the very last turn of the knob that causes the cut out. Does that sound like it?

If it is that, would changing it out sort the prob?

Sorry.... I`m new at electrics :)

Dave

Edited by Davetbass

A "no load" pot has got a gap in the carbon track at one end that effeictively takes the resistance of the pot out of the circuit when you reach that point. I can't think straight enough right now to figure out what would happen if it was wired up the wrong way !

It's a non-standard part, though, and a little unusual.

More likely to be dirt inside the pot, provided you've checked that all the connections to the pot are sound.

[quote name='BOD2' post='136913' date='Feb 8 2008, 11:46 PM']A "no load" pot has got a gap in the carbon track at one end that effeictively takes the resistance of the pot out of the circuit when you reach that point. I can't think straight enough right now to figure out what would happen if it was wired up the wrong way !

It's a non-standard part, though, and a little unusual.

More likely to be dirt inside the pot, provided you've checked that all the connections to the pot are sound.[/quote]

Sounds like a wrong pot, in the wrong place, at the wrong time!! :)

Thanks mate!!

Dave