Why become a member? ×

Change of genre

Rosh

Hey guys, how you doing??

I'm looking to change a direction at the moment and am going to practice with a new band on Friday night.

I usually play indie pop in standard tuning with a Fender Precision but this new band play in C-standard and some in Drop B.

What would you advise for this? A new bass? 5? 6-string?

Bit of advice needed because they sound driven so if it takes off I'll be looking to go with them.

Cheers.

There's no quick reply to this. If they play more than the odd song in B then you really need a specific set of strings for that tuning whether that's a standard 5-string set or something custon made by Newtone for example.
Most of the time you can probably use the BEAD strings from a 5-string set on your current bass. You will have to check that your bridge saddles can go far enough back to intonate properly, and you [i]may[/i] have to file your nut to accommodate the new strings.

I've played metal in various tunings [A, B, C, D, Eb, E] and most often used a 4-string bass 110 set for tunings of C and D, mainly to play riffs with a pedalled low C or D depending on the guitar riff. B and A have always been with a 5-string bass.

Edited by Adrenochrome

Hey man,

Thanks for the reply!

I think what I'm basically thinking is lend a bass for a while to see what happens, then getting a new bass if we get anywhere.

I'd rather not detune the Fender and mess around with it as then I'll be stuffed for playing indie pop when I need to.

Who knows? There's too many "ifs" at the moment -- So I'll get back to you guys after Friday, if I can lend a bass before then.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='1187917' date='Apr 4 2011, 04:10 PM']There's no quick reply to this.[/quote]

This. It depends on LOADS of different factors - your playing style, your financial situation, your personal preference to the number of strings, if you want to play other genres at the same or just stick with the heavy stuff.... The list goes on. It's almost as open ended and subjective as me saying "I want a new bass. What should I get?"