Why become a member? ×

Need help with my nuts!

Soloshchenko

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1182496' date='Mar 30 2011, 05:35 PM']And now I have your attention...Anyone know where I can get one of those little file/tools used for finishing off bass and guitar nuts? :)

I used to have one but I've lost it. :)[/quote]

Try [url="http://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/Tools/Files-Knives-and-Saws/View-all-products.html?TreeId=33"]here[/url]

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1182583' date='Mar 30 2011, 06:59 PM']Cheers mate but bloody hell, they seem pricey! Know of any cheaper ones?[/quote]

I just bought a single one and used it carefully to make wider slots for that very reason!
I had a scout around at the time but the only cheaper ones I could find were on ebay and I avoid that if I can.

If it's just for a one off job (not much more) then cheapos like [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-NEEDLE-FILE-SET-HANDLES-Thin-Small-6-Assorted-/200545450167?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2eb170b8b7"]this[/url] will do ya fine.
I've been using a B&Q set for years and they are still ok for most jobs.

Why on earth are these files so expensive.
I needed to open up the slots on my Ryder to accomodate the black nylons I was putting on and used the file on my trusty Leatherman tool,or it might have been the swiss army knife.
Any way,these are just files and they sell small files in model shops,radiospares maplins etc,i mean its only a bit of plastic for gods sake so why the mega price?

[quote name='tarcher' post='1182680' date='Mar 30 2011, 08:13 PM']Why on earth are these files so expensive.
I needed to open up the slots on my Ryder to accomodate the black nylons I was putting on and used the file on my trusty Leatherman tool,or it might have been the swiss army knife.
Any way,these are just files and they sell small files in model shops,radiospares maplins etc,i mean its only a bit of plastic for gods sake so why the mega price?[/quote]

It's about precision, if you get a full set you can make all of the nut slots the exact size they need to be on a repeated basis.

if you're talking about nut shaping files as opposed to slotting files, i have a stew mac set that i never found much use for. i shape my nuts on a disc sander before drum sanding the side profile to match the neck. consequently, if anyone out there wants to make me an offer for the stew mac set, pm me.

Edited by lettsguitars