Why become a member? ×

Marshall 3520 bass head

Count Bassie

I've had an offer to swap my Trace Elliot AH250SMX for one of these Marshall Integrated Bass Heads. It's the guy who's been fixing my gear lately- he's had both of my heads in there now, and has taken to the SMX! What a surprise... but he's sort of (almost sheepishly) offered to trade the Marshall.

I don't think I will, the SMX has made itself valuable to me, even though it's had a few issues. But do any of you guys know the Marshall head? Would you do it, and why? I'm just slightly intrigued by the offer...

Well I`ve not had any experience with that particular model, but have had a few Marshalls and I like their bass gear. A lot of people don`t rate it, but in my view, this is a lot to do with the fact that Marshall excel at guitar amps, so the thought must be they can`t be any good at bass. All of my Marshall have been loud, reliable, and had a good sound (for me anyway, doing rock/punk etc).

You`ll probably get many opinions, but let your ears decide. The only negatives I can really find with Marshall bass gear are:
1 - as it hasn`t got a "name" for bass equipment, selling it on can take a while
2 - its invariably very heavy

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1178073' date='Mar 27 2011, 06:17 AM']Well I`ve not had any experience with that particular model, but have had a few Marshalls and I like their bass gear. A lot of people don`t rate it, but in my view, this is a lot to do with the fact that Marshall excel at guitar amps, so the thought must be they can`t be any good at bass. All of my Marshall have been loud, reliable, and had a good sound (for me anyway, doing rock/punk etc).

You`ll probably get many opinions, but let your ears decide. The only negatives I can really find with Marshall bass gear are:
1 - as it hasn`t got a "name" for bass equipment, selling it on can take a while
2 - its invariably very heavy[/quote]

Well heavy is kind of ok- my Trace MK IV is on the heavy side- and in light (sorry) of the comparatively light weight of the SMX, it begins to seem unnecessary! But it's sound, not convenience, that wins the day, so the MK IV stays.

I have been finding that a lot of the older gear is sturdier than the newer, more lightweight amps: The MK IV has needed nothing but a new black light in almost 30 years, but the SMX has seen four trips to the bench since I've had it- about a year-and-a-half. Point-to-point wiring and actual components appear to be tougher and longer-lasting than op amps and modules... that right there is almost enough to sell the deal to me, and the "new sound" coming from the lighter gear doesn't really sell me enough to change my thinking. Anyhow I'm going to see it this week, even though I still love the sound of my SMX. Hey, "love" hasn't stopped me from doing some very stupid things! Hopefully I won't do anything stupid! This time... but if the Marshall kills me where I stand, I'm going to swap.

Thanks for the reply Lozz.

Edited by Count Bassie