Why become a member? ×

Left Hand technique - Thumb

chugster

For some reason I can't seem to get my left thumb comfortable on the back of the neck. I guess I must have picked up some bad habits that I need to "un-learn". After playing for a while, my thumb always aches and so there must be something wrong with my technique. Can anyone point me at any guidance to any common errors or guides to how you should position your thumb to avoid such problems?

Try and place your thumb in the middle of the neck pretty much adjacent to your middle finger. You should almost be
making a triangle between your thumb,index and ring fingers.
You don't need to grip the neck with the thumb either. Instead you should use it more as a pivot/balance point. You
should be able to lift your thumb off the neck and still be able to play.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1176117' date='Mar 25 2011, 04:20 PM']Try and place your thumb in the middle of the neck pretty much adjacent to your middle finger. You should almost be
making a triangle between your thumb,index and ring fingers.
You don't need to grip the neck with the thumb either. Instead you should use it more as a pivot/balance point. You
should be able to lift your thumb off the neck and still be able to play.[/quote]
Couldn't have put it any better than this so +1