Why become a member? ×

Do I need to replace the jack unit in my bass?

Hi guys,

I've had a new bass since last Crimbo and I'm having issues with it cutting out compeltely or failing to give the right amount of output etc unless the lead's possitioned in exactly the right place.

It's working sometimes but is one of those cases of sitting down with my bass and having to fiddle with the angle the jack is going into the socket for it to finally make a good connection and bring it to life.

The bass is active and has a locking jack system and I've tried numerous leads and replaced the battery but the problem doesn't go away.

The strange part is that if I hit a note hard the signal cuts out completely and it's been a fantastic case of every time I take it into the shop it works a treat so i have no idea what's going on.

The ends of both the leads I've used with it have been fine so i'm a tad reluctant to fork out on another 'lasts forever' lead if I can find out that this does indeed sound like the output of my bass as that's a cheaper issue to resolve by just getting a new unit.
I can't possibly have two dead leads can I?!......or can I?

When I move the lead around to try and get contact in the bass it makes a sound of a bad connection to me but I suppose that could also be an issue in the lead somewhere.
I've just had a look inside and there's nothing visibly making a poor connection at all which is a tad baffling.

I've tried different amps etc so it's not a problem with a channel on my amps.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben.

Edited by BenTunnicliffe

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1172401' date='Mar 22 2011, 06:23 PM']Might just need soldering.
Unscrew your control cavity cover and check for loose wires.[/quote]

+1

Also, if your jack socket is a 'skeleton' socket like this:

push a guitar lead into it and you'll see where the tip of the lead makes contact with a metal strip.

Is it pushing hard against the tip of the guitar lead?

If it isn't then pull the lead out and very carefully bend the strip towards the hole the plug comes through - just enough to make it push harder on the jack plug. Don't overdo it - a 2mm amount is probably plenty.
A small pair of pliers would do the trick here.

It's not designed to be a permanant fix, replacing it is better, but if the socket has lost it's tension it'll probably last you a few more months and at least you'll 'know' what the problem is...

EDIT: Oops! - too late :)

Edited by icastle