Why become a member? ×

Steels - bumping vs solos

fatback

Because I'm going for a mag pickup, I'm committed to steel strings. For lower tension, any suggestions about which would be better, to bump or retune solos? I'm a bit hazy about the whole solos thing.

Any recommendations for which way to go and maybe which brands? Bumping spiorocores has been suggested, but whatever solution needs to be ok for arco as well as pizz. I'm struggling bowing Pirastro Jazzers atm.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

[quote name='slobluesine' post='1165765' date='Mar 17 2011, 02:05 PM']i bump Spiro A,D,G with a lambert G, i found the spiro bumped high C too thin

gorgeous low tension and huge sound, try it[/quote]

Does this setup bow ok?

[quote]'Bumping' - not heard the term in this context. Can you explain?[/quote]

If I understand right, bumping is fitting each string to the place below, as in G where D should be, D where A should be, etc. to get low tension. You need to find a C to put in place of G.

I think. :)

What's the advantage over retuning a solo set, though?

Edited by fatback

"Bumped" strings would be lower tension than solos at standard pitch, since they're tuned a fourth below the pitch they were intended for, while the solos are only detuned by a whole tone. I've not tried it, but would you really get much acoustic volume from steels at such low tension?

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1165742' date='Mar 17 2011, 01:45 PM']Kolstein Heritage strings have a low tension for a steel string - and excellent customer service to boot.[/quote]

Gareth, aren't these synthetic core? Do they work ok with a mag pickup?