Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton HBB1975

Ben_55

From what little I know, I'm guessing that HB will be fine...I really haven't played a bad bass with one exception which had a....erm history. I've also heard some fantastic playing on many a cheap bass.

I sold off all my more expensive bass's thru ill health (I'm getting steadily better at the moment, but don't talk it up!) and was down to my Yamaha A2 which I can't see myself selling 'in the foreseeable future', I also had a Westfield P bass for the workplace and then my wife bought me cheap £116 new Aria jazz. This Aria bass blew away any remaining predujices for ever....
....being honest buying my first Westfield cheapie first changed my ideas of 'price V performance ratio' big time, but a bit of me thought it may have been a fluke, the aria changed that.
Now I can't see myself owning an expensive (to me) bass nowadays, in fact the thought of £700+ of bass hanging off the wall makes me cringe nowadays, I'd rather admire from afar.

I've now got in the heard, a CV, a VMJ, the A2, a Squier std Jazz, Aria STB Jazz, 3x Westfield B1000's (ones my daughters') and a Jack, I still love bass's and as Stalin said "quantity has a quality of its own"..but none of these are dear bass's although all are 'dear' to me in that I like them.

honestly I can make an expensive bass sound just as crap and a cheap one, it does help that I know more about setting a bass up well than playing well ;)

I have not tried one of these, but I'm dead curious....for less than half a price you get an ASH body...versus the "soft maple" used in Vintage Modifieds. I would dare to say that these might come face to face with the Squiers...and those Wilkinson pickups...I've seen people here say that they're OK for the money too. My opinion is biased over the fact that I've caught some really BAD Squiers lately. From poor wood matching, to stains beneath the finish (VM fretless), and scratchy pots. (all this in new in store instruments) I've even picked up a 70's model (the maple fingerboard one) that had the weirdest rough feel on the neck surface...sounded weak and needed some serious tweaking too. Give it a shot, it's still less of a steal.

VMJ....great bass but can be inconistant....my first although a good solid bass was VERY heavy to my feeble body. my 2nd weighs far less and the finish on the fretwork is even better and can get a even lower action.....the only difference is that the first was a 2009 build....the 2nd a 2012.