Why become a member? ×

ERNIE MCMILLEN 6 String Carl Thompson Tribute

Gareth Hughes

Folks - up for trade/sale is my Ernie McMillen 6 String Carl Thompson Tribute.

The bass is a two piece alder body with a rosewood cap and a hand rubbed oil finish, based on many of the classic Carl Thompson scroll bass designs. The extended horn makes this bass balance perfectly and also puts the lower fretting positions at a more comfortable position.

The neck is maple with an ebony fingerboard and bone nut and double truss rods and is 34" scale. The neck is shallow in depth, making it feel a lot more comfortable than you'd expect. The tuners are Gotoh (I think) and the bridge is by ABM. The pickup is by Aero, their K Series model, with an ebony (I think) cover. Controls are a single volume with a rosewood knob. The action is set really low so there's plenty of room to raise. (the black bit on the headstock is just foam to dampen string noise. I'm a geek like that)

Ernie worked for Lowden Guitars for 15 years or so, building many of the Goodfellow basses that were made there in the early 90's. He currently works for Avalon Guitars, where he's just finished building a line of guitars for Zematis, retailing at $15,000. Basically, his attention to detail and woodworking are at a pretty high standard.

I'm also selling the body that made up this bass originally. Long story short - I had this bass made in 1998 with the P-Bass shaped body - then about two years ago I fancied a change and asked Ernie to build me something a little more extravagant. So what that means now is that the neck and bridge could be swapped onto either body if that took your fancy. All you'd need to do is a little bit of wiring to get it up and running.

The original body is a standard size Precision shape, with a little extra routing for high fret access. The body is walnut on the high string side and mahogany on the low string side and it has a one piece rosewood cap. Pickups are custom wound Kent Armstrong soapbars. This body is wired for standard Jazz wiring - Vol/Vol/Tone. The rosewood knob on other body came from this body, and I still have all three knobs to make up the set.

All in the bass, as it is now, cost about £12-1300. I'd be happy to sell the Thompson Tribute for £700 plus shipping. I can ship the bass in a hardcase. I'd include the Precision body for an extra £200.

I'm open for trades - preferably of the Fender Japanese Jazz bass variety, or an amp head. Or just suggest something (bass related please;) ).

Here's some audio clips. The bass was recorded through a Joe Meek MQ3 with no compression and just a little bit of treble boost because the strings are about 6 months old. I have a new set of D'Addario strings to go with the bass but I thought I'd leave them for the new owner to install.

[attachment=74924:6_string_Demo.mp3][attachment=74925:6_String_Chords.mp3]

Cheers, Gareth
[attachment=74846:Full_Side.jpg][attachment=74847:Upside_Down.jpg][attachment=74845:Long.jpg]
[attachment=74848:Head.jpg][attachment=74849:Back_Close.jpg][attachment=74850:Back_Long.jpg]
[attachment=74851:6_Pre_Front.jpg][attachment=74852:6_Pre_Back.jpg]

Edited by Gareth Hughes

Would this pickup be closer to the bridge and this bass would be mine (i even have a real nice Jap Jazz that i barely use due to the "poor" 4 string)

Anyway what's the spacing again? Do you happen to have any soundclips? (maybe it sounds a bit "bridgy" ^^)

Cheers anyway, looks tremendous...

Edited by k-sad

The pickup is centered where the D-G string side of a Precision pickup is, or possibly in the middle of a split Precision pickup, can't quite remember which. I'll measure it in the morning. From memory the string spacing is 18mm, tho it can be moved. It's this bridge here: [url="http://www.abm-mueller.com/index2ccbb.html?bassbridges.html"]http://www.abm-mueller.com/index2ccbb.html?bassbridges.html[/url]

I'll do some recordings tomorrow too.

What's your Jazz like?