Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass pot sizes

martindupras

I have a lovely Fender American Deluxe Jazz V.

The screws in the knobs are stripped, so they don't hold the pots very well. I thought it would be really straightforward to get replacements, but long story short: no. That's because it uses the skirted concentric knobs for the EQ His and Lows.

I have some replacements on order from the USA, but in the meantime I bought a set on eBay, the description of which said: "Fender Squier Jazz Bass 5 String Stacked GUITAR KNOBS."

They don't fit. The non-concentric ones are too tight, and the concentric ones are too large.

Am I right in thinking that Fender and Squier use different knobs, or have I been conned? Are all Fender pots the same sizes?

- martin

[quote name='martindupras' post='1155609' date='Mar 9 2011, 05:23 PM']I have a lovely Fender American Deluxe Jazz V.

The screws in the knobs are stripped, so they don't hold the pots very well. I thought it would be really straightforward to get replacements, but long story short: no. That's because it uses the skirted concentric knobs for the EQ His and Lows.

I have some replacements on order from the USA, but in the meantime I bought a set on eBay, the description of which said: "Fender Squier Jazz Bass 5 String Stacked GUITAR KNOBS."

They don't fit. The non-concentric ones are too tight, and the concentric ones are too large.

Am I right in thinking that Fender and Squier use different knobs, or have I been conned? Are all Fender pots the same sizes?

- martin[/quote]

Common sense would say that they use the same size knobs for everything so they don't have to worry about buying in different knobs from different manufacturers - but it sounds as though they might not have done that in this case.

If the grub screws on the original knobs still have enough thread on them to stop the knobs just falling off (or just rotating freely) then I'd be tempted to put a little blob of clear nail varnish on the thread and just tighten to the point just prior to the thread stripping.
When it dries it creates a seal and stops everything wobbling about.
Getting the grub screw out again is no problem as the nail varnish will just snap when you turn the grub screw.

My problem is slightly different. They're hex screws, and the hex hole is worn so that there's not enough 'grip' for the allen key to turn anything. The hole is too small to put even a small flathead screwdriver, so I can't even remove the hex screws. The simplest solution is to replace the knobs, if I can find them.

To make things worse: I couldn't remove the small knob on the mid-EQ pot, because the hex head is stripped that bad. I tried prising it off gently, and somehow that resulted in the centre-detent of the pot no longer working. Damn.

- martin

[quote name='icastle' post='1155634' date='Mar 9 2011, 05:44 PM']Common sense would say that they use the same size knobs for everything so they don't have to worry about buying in different knobs from different manufacturers - but it sounds as though they might not have done that in this case.

If the grub screws on the original knobs still have enough thread on them to stop the knobs just falling off (or just rotating freely) then I'd be tempted to put a little blob of clear nail varnish on the thread and just tighten to the point just prior to the thread stripping.
When it dries it creates a seal and stops everything wobbling about.
Getting the grub screw out again is no problem as the nail varnish will just snap when you turn the grub screw.[/quote]

[quote name='martindupras' post='1156040' date='Mar 9 2011, 11:10 PM']My problem is slightly different. They're hex screws, and the hex hole is worn so that there's not enough 'grip' for the allen key to turn anything. The hole is too small to put even a small flathead screwdriver, so I can't even remove the hex screws. The simplest solution is to replace the knobs, if I can find them.[/quote]

Ah right.
Don't suppose the little grub screws in the new knobs fit the holes in the original knobs by any stroke of luck?
If you've got the knobs off then use the nearest size hex key and pull it at an angle to provide some leverage whilst undoing the knackered grub screw - that usually get's them out.

[quote name='martindupras' post='1156040' date='Mar 9 2011, 11:10 PM']To make things worse: I couldn't remove the small knob on the mid-EQ pot, because the hex head is stripped that bad. I tried prising it off gently, and somehow that resulted in the centre-detent of the pot no longer working.[/quote]
That pot might actually still work without the centre detent but I'd be inclined to change it as you don't really know what damage has happened inside the pot.
Obviously, it's not dangerous but it could crackle and pop whilst using it which would be a pain.

Usually the main difference is US Fenders will have imperial size hardware and squiers have metric. There's only a slight difference between comparative sizes but it's usually enough to cause you a problem.

If you really can't get that one grub screw out, i'd be tempted to try drilling it out, very slowly and carefully, with a battery drill.

I have recently had the same problem with a MIJ Jazz Bass. Neck pot was scratchy and I decided to replace it by a new one I had at home (USA one). When changed I tried to fit the knob but it didn't fit at the New Pot Split Shaft. When I forced it I broke the Knob.
Also, when I removed the knobs from the other pots I broke them (knobs were really tight).

At last, I have order New Standar Pots (solid shaft) and New Standar Knobs...

(Pickguard's drills are also different Standar vs Japan) :)

It all about metrics.

Cheers,

Thanks guys, all useful comments.

I hadn't clocked the Imperial v. Metric thing. Makes sense.

- martin

[quote name='markinson' post='1156190' date='Mar 10 2011, 08:01 AM']I have recently had the same problem with a MIJ Jazz Bass. Neck pot was scratchy and I decided to replace it by a new one I had at home (USA one). When changed I tried to fit the knob but it didn't fit at the New Pot Split Shaft. When I forced it I broke the Knob.
Also, when I removed the knobs from the other pots I broke them (knobs were really tight).

At last, I have order New Standar Pots (solid shaft) and New Standar Knobs...

(Pickguard's drills are also different Standar vs Japan) :)

It all about metrics.

Cheers,[/quote]